New Slann Titan

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:10:30 -0500

Hi!

A little while ago I received one of those "troll order magazines" with
some epic stuff I picked up in the bargain basement section. I rarely
pay these mind since they only have 40k/fantasy stuff. Lately they have
this section of conversion kits for that vehicle book they released for
40k. The kits are usally a hodge-podge of bits from many models to make
a unique unit.

In issue #37 I stumbled upon the "Necron'nought" a kit for making a
necron dreadnought for 40k. After a glance I knew this model would serve
us well! It is mostly made up of epic titan parts and sucj with some 40k
bits thrown in. I must say it had the makings of a necron titan written
all over it. I picked up three of these and the pictures are now in the
vault at:

The model is titan sized and requires some conversion work, but it looks
pretty damn good!!

The kit is available through US mail order for 25 dollars (not bad). The
good thing about this is that the bits are always available so you could
always get them separately. Below is a list of the bits and code numbers
for those interested:

010202605 x 1 Talon of horus
011000503 x 1 Necron destroyer gauss cannon
030400301 x 1 Phantom titan torso
030400308 x 1 Phantom titan left leg
030400309 x 1 Phantom titan right leg
030700109 x 1 Warlord titan leg joint
030700114 x 1 Warlord titan left leg
030700115 x 1 Warlord titan right leg
030700116 x 2 Warlord titan foot
040301814 x 1 Kutta arm 2 (left)
040301816 x 1 Shoota arm 2 (left)
FECK001J x 1 Emperor titan metal head

Rules, I'll cook up a template soon, but here are some stats for the
titan and its weapons.

Move 25cm (fast and agile), may make as many 90 degree turns as needed
like Phantom titans and warhounds
CAF + 14

weapons
The necron titan has only two weapons:

Warp talon
It functions as a power fist in close combat and much like its eldar
counterpart it has a weapon mounted on its fist. It mounts two altered
turbo guass mini-guns, it has the same stats as the mini guns (3 attack
dice, hits on 5+, -1 modifier), but its range is augmented to 50cm.

Conversion beamer cannon
This is simple the same weapon mounted on the annihilator battlefortess
with its same sats. Its bascially a long range titan buster weapon (like
the volcano cannon).

Abilities
The Necron titan has no shields to protect it from harm, its only (and
very significant) defense is its self-repair ability. Now most titan
have this already, where the Necron titans ability differs is that it
occurs during the combat phase after damage is inflicted, not in the end
phase like other titans.

This doesn't mean the titan can be blown appart and the pieces will
magically fly back together. The way it works is after the titan is hit
and fails its armor location save it THEN rolls its repair roll BEFORE
any damage is rolled. This is the repair systems trying to deal with the
damage before it becomes critical. It reality the repair system is none
other that thousands of "scarabs" flowing to the damaged area and
repairing it with lightning speed, very much how a clot forms and heals
our wounds, but many times quicker.

If the repair roll is failed the roll damage normally and apply the results.

Some systems (if not totally destroyed) maybe repaired in the end phase
like other titans can.

The necron titan also possess the other standard abilites Necron
possess, but its field DOES affect titan/praetorian sized units due to
its power.

I wanted a titan to fill that niche missing in the slann list for a
cheap titan. The ones we have although effective are pretty expensive
and only fielded in larger games.

I propose the cost of this unit be 800, the average price of a Warlord
titan. While self-repair can be powerful, the lack of any shields make
it very vulnerable. You need fail but one save and that may mean the
destruction of this titan. It doesn't "shunt" aside damage as most
titans do by defenses, but "absorbs it" try to nullify damage by its
prodigious reapir abilities. This titan has a lot more in common with
the bio-titan than other imperial titans in the way it works.

Opinions?

Peter