R: [NetEpic ML] Re: A race question

From: Bernasconi Davide <bernasconi_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:59:16 +0100

> Hi!
>
> I heard they are some new 40k race, but know little else, anyone have
> more information?
>
> Peter
>

> --- In netepic_at_y..., jyrki.saari_at_n... wrote:
> > One small question: what are Tau/Kroot? Some new GW invention?
> >
> > Jyrki Saari

Directly from Portent.net

"Although details on this race and their Kroot allies are still pretty thin
on the ground little bits like the following rumours keep surfacing (not
that I'm complaining!).

 As has been rumoured before (and partially confirmed by some early concept
sketches released by GW) the Tau are rather futuristic looking with their
large oval helmets and thin rectangular guns (so I'm told anyway). My source
even described their poses as "very martial arts type poses", which could
just mean their poses are very dynamic rather than that they're posed mid
karate chop or anything. ;)

 The Kroot are indeed meant to be aa very feral race - an interesting detail
I hadn't heard before it that one of the accesories is even a slab of meat!
My source also described their guns as "rifles with lots of nasty blades
on". Nice.

 Finally, a rumoured weapon stat for you here - the Tau basic trooper is
apparently equiped with a rather nasty weapon that has strength 5 and a
range of 30 inches. Rather good indeed, although I can't imagine that you'll
see too many of these blokes on the battle field either."

"Here's another little rumour on still rather mysterious Kroot and Tau.

 As previously rumoured they are apparently part of the same race with the
Tau being the long ranged shooty types and the Kroot being the combat units
(since the Tau are really quite weak). One interesting thing my source made
mention of was some sort of targeting device that charges into combat and
attacks enemy units. However, if it scores a hit, all that means is that
that character is hit on a 2+. Apparently anyway. Interesting idea althoguh
if it's true that'd be tricky to keep track of I'd imagine (depending on how
many of these "Black Laser Targeter" units you're allowed).

Update: Ah, a clarification here, I apparently misunderstood my source when
I first posted this rumour. The unit with black laser targeters can
infiltrate ahead of the main force with black laser targeter guns (which are
close range) and any units hit by these weapons allow all other units to hit
that unit on a 2+. Apparently. :)

 Also, the Tau are apparently strong believers in some sort of caste system,
which could make for some cool unit variations or something similar I'd
imagine!"

you can find more information.

http://wargamerau.com/GT2001_Sydney_MiniShots_16.jpg
http://wargamerau.com/GT2001_Sydney_MiniShots_17.jpg