Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: A race question

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:36:42 +1000

>Agreed, it is sadly missed. It might have been difficult doing a second
>series though, as they killed off so many of the main characters in the last
>episode. It made a pleasant change for a TV series to end with the good guys
>screwing up.

I actually had a huge problem with Space: Above and Beyond. Here were
these Marines. Supposed to be hard-ass soldier types and they were the
biggest bunch of whimps I'd ever seen!!! Geez.

>Then again, knowing TV companies - they could start the next series claiming
>the great f**k up mission had all been a dream !! Anybody know if Earth 2
>is ever likely to get another series ? Too many good series get dropped for
>lack of funding (Crusade for example, which was just getting good).

Just for the record, Crusade didn't die through lack of funding. It died
because of the writer's integrity. Basically, Warner Brothers came to JMS
(the writer) and said, "We aren't happy with how the series is going. We
want more violence and more sex, like a love affair between character X and
character Y." JMS said "No'". WB told JMS that he couldn't say no. JMS
said they could take that idea and put it where they thought the sun shined
from. WB said, "Don't do what we want and will cancel your show." JMS
said, "Fine, cancel it. I'd rather write 12 episodes I am proud of than 22
episodes of commercial tripe." So WB cancelled the show and only the 12
episodes we made and aired.

It is still very sad. It was just starting to get good. At least we'll
always have Babylon 5.

-Kelvin...

"Look, just give me some inner peace
or I'll mop the floor with you."