Fw: Shortbeards

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:07:48 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Albert Farr� Benet
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 1:51 PM
Subject: Shortbeards

SHORTBEARDS UNITS
<Fluff text>

Shortbeards can only be purchased if you also purchase a Warrior Brotherhood or any of the mobilized infantry company cards. You can only purchase one Shortbeards company card for every 3000 points AND for every warrior brotherhood or mobilized infantry company card (that is, you can never have more Shortbeard company cards than Infantry/Mobilized infantry company cards).

You can only purchase Shortbeards as a support card to Infantry/Mobilized Infantry company cards and never more than 1 support card for company. If you choose to field Shortbeards as a support card you cannot field a Shortbeards company card for that infantry company (though you can get a shortbeard company for another infantry company). You can take as many Shortbeards support cards as you wish, provided you have enough Infantry company cards.
While the Hearthguard is alive, Shortbeards have a +1 to morale rolls due to hearthguard veteran leadership. Should the Hearthguard be killed, Shortbeards continue fighting as usual but without the morale bonus.

      Unit Name
     Move
     Save
     CAF
     Weapon
     Range
     Attack Dice
     To hit roll
     Target's save modifier
     Notes

      Shortbeards
     10 cm
     0
     0
     Bolt Pistols
     25 cm
     1
     5+
     0
     Infiltration, Squat CC reroll?

      Hearthguards(trainers)
     10 cm
     6+
     +6
     Bolters
     50 cm
     1
     5+
     -2
     Elite, HQ unit, infiltration

      Name
     Contents
     Break Point
     Morale
     Victory Points
     Cost

      Shortbeards company
     3 Detachments (1Hearthguard, 5 Shortbeards)
     9

         2/3
     5

     450

      Name
     Contents
     Break Point
     Morale
     Victory Points
     Cost

      Shortbeards
     1Hearthguard, 5 Shortbeards

      3
         2/3

      2
     150

NOTE 1: I removed the warlord from Eivind's proposal. I think that Shortbeards are just a complement to squat brotherhoods, thus they have the same warlord as the brotherhood they follow (No warlord will accept to be the leader of only a bunch of shortbeards!). I changed a bit the limitations of this unit to give them the role of young warriors that are brought to battle to help other infantry, rather than vehicles, thus learning the "Squat ways of war".

NOTE 2: To balance a bit the removing of the warlord, I added the morale bonus when the hearthguard is alive and for coherency reasons I added infiltration to hearthguard trainers. Should we keep the Squat CC reroll for youngbeards? This would give them a virtual CAF of +2 (+3/4 against orks).

NOTE 3: (to any native English speaker) feel free to reword the purchasing rules if it is NOT clear enough.

NOTE 4: (to anyone) feel free to add some fluff text to explain what are shortbeards (Im not good at that)

NOTE 5: (to Eivind and everybody that said anything about this units): Thanks for your opinions

NOTE 6: More opinions welcomed

NOTE 7 (the last one): I feel sorry for the delay, but I'm just about to start my exam period at university, so Im studying full-time and I cannot follow all discussions of the list (actually I dont have many time to write). I'd like to add more comments on some ideas that have arisen about squat units but I think I'll do that when I finish my exams at the beggining of July. I hope there's no problem if I delay the finished version of this units until then...

NOTE 7.1. I posted this message on 09-06. 24h later I received a delay warning. Actually my three last messages to netepic where delayed (more than 12 hours each). This one never arrived, so I repost it. If at the end both messages are received, sorry. Has anyone the same problems?

Albert