Re: [Epic] Titan Legions

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 19:54:30 -0800

>In message "[Epic] Titan Legions", you write:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Oh, and I almost forgot, there is now an almost universally despised and
>> very poorly thought out psychic phase before first fire. This is the first
>> thing that the people I game with agreed to completely ignore. It just
>> causes way too many arguments.
>>

>I'd have to disagree with you here, Tony. I really don't think the psychic
>phase is all that bad, and I certainly don't think it is almost universally
>despised. From what I've seen on this list, the opinion is more or less split
>50/50 on whether it's a good thing to have. What the real problem with the
>psychic phase is is not that it exists, but that the interaction of psychic
>and warp-based powers with the rest of the system is neither consistent nor
>in many cases clear. I suspect that if these problems with clarity and
>consistency were resolved, no-one would have any problems with having a psychic
>phase. In my opinion, a better approach than ignoring the psychic phase
>completely would be to make a standard set of rules (probably based off of
>Allen's Q&As) that applies to all psychic powers, and another that applies
>to all warp-based powers/weapons that don't originate from some sort of psyker.
>
>Cameron Bentsen, Ottawa.

This maybe true, but rather than have tons of house rules, we just decided
to scrap it. I mean, is it really that necessary? TIMO, the system worked
fine without it. After some heated arguments that seemed to come up as soon
as we tried using the psychic phase, we just decided it wasn't worth the
hassle, and agreed to scrap it. Maybe we were impatient, but we have had
many fun games without it, very few with it.

Tony Christney
acc_at_...