[Epic] Epic 40K article

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 19:48:45 -0800

I found an article on TheMiniaturePages website about the upcoming
Epic40K rules. I have clipped the following from the document source
window, so overlook the extra characters.

I had an opportunity to view (extensively) an early version of the Epic
40K rules. Here is most of what I remember.

<P>This will be a whole new ball game, not a patch job of rule
changes. Initiative, combat, shooting, fliers, and army command and
organization are quite different. It does look like most models will be
compatible with the new rules, including infantry. They specifically
mention infantry as 1 to 5 models on a base.</P>

<P>The SHVs now have hit charts and accumulated damage rules which will
make them less fragile. The copy of the rules I saw did not have any
mention of Knights or squats. However, it could be that those army
lists simply were not copied (or not yet developed).</P>

<P>I am sure the rules were legitimate, but an early version. They
entailed the core rules and the basic army lists. Most of the models
were mentioned, but the demon engines were referred to as slannesh,
nurgle or khorne engines, or chaos artillery,
without elaboration. The Tzeentch fliers and towers were specifically
detailed, however.</P>

<P>You had to purchase special abilities for the greater demons, and the
long-out-of-print minor demons and Lord of Battle were included on the
list. The basic lists were pretty extensive, but not complete for the
armies (i.e., no trolls, minotaurs or squats for chaos, no underground
transport for the guard, no capitol imperialis). Artillery for IG was
called either heavy or siege, no mention of specific models like
the basilisk, manticore, or bombard. Also not listed for IG were
stormblades,
stormhammers and the gorgon. Chimera variants were not listed but
chimeras
were all over the IG and cultists lists. I would bet that all of the
aforementioned models will be in the game. I assume these will be
presented in supplements or added to the later versions of the core
rules.</P>

<P>The rules did not have any mention of psychic abilities as they are
currently used for chaos and tyrannids, but something new called
<EM>fate cards</EM> will be added to the game that reflects the
influence of the warp.</P>

<P>Some new models mentioned on the list:</P>
<UL>
<LI>eldar exodites
<LI>eldar flying troop transport (vampire)
<LI>demolisher
<LI>griffon
<LI>ork fighter bomber
<LI>ork anti aircraft artillery
</UL>

<P>One more interesting aspect is the command structure for all armies.
Units in a detachment must remain within 30 cm of their commander, or
they are penalized in some way or the other (e.g., cannot move).</P>

<P>People who want an upgraded version of the current
<STRONG>Epic</STRONG> system are going to be gravely disappointed by the
new edition. I cannot say which system will be better, but <STRONG>Epic
40K</STRONG> mechanics are a dramatic departure from <STRONG>Titan
Legion/Space Marine</STRONG> rules.</P>

If you want to see the original, go to

http://www.eden.com/~tmp/new/newrulesscf.html

danlobb_at_...