Re: [Epic] Advance & Charge

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:36:16 -0800

>We're just breaking in a new player, and we told him about how when you
>advance it has to be toward your opponent, (as oposed to backwards) and when
>you charge it has to be at the nearest enemy (we make exception for skimmers
>and flyers, of course) but we have looked and looked and looked and we can't
>find it anywhere...
>
>Are we making this up?
>
>Is there such a rule, and if so, where do we find it?
>
>Agro

The charge rule I think you are referring to is the section titled ENTERING
CLOSE COMBAT in TL p. 32. It makes no reference towards charging the nearest
enemy, only that you must take the most expedient route possible to enter
into close combat. This only puts a restriction on how many stands you
can get against the enemy models though.

As for having to move towards the enemy if you are on advance orders, I
don't believe this is stated anywhere. The closest I could come to this
would be the limitation that models can't "move in one direction (such as
backwards) and turn right round to face another." I think that this rule
assumes that all movement takes place in straight lines from the point of
origin. Otherwise, the 45 degree turn at the end doesn't make much sense.

Regardless of these two rules, you can still advance & charge in any
direction you please unless the unit description specifically states
otherwise.

Tony Christney
acc_at_...