RE: [Epic] Hero of the Day

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:53:46 -0500

>> It is obvious that this is why they are given no assault and no firepower.
>> think I'm gonna let it go for the sake of clearity. I think the game is
>> balanced so that if Rhinos had 1 firepower, then armies that have access to
>> them would be too powerfull.
>
>Rhinos have 0 assault and 0 FP, which does not mean they have no weapons.
>They may still support a combat, and still kill in a CC. That reflects
>the relative ineffectiveness of the weaponry. Look at them in 2nd ed. How
>often did they kill things? Never as far as I could remember...
>They are transports and nothing else.
>Steve
>
>-------------------------------------------------stephes_at_...--------

-----> We all know how ineffective they were in SM/TL, and
let me tell you, their effectiveness was overstated, if anything.
In 40K, they do have 2 bolters. That's it. The armor isn't
anything special, so really all they are is a free, extended-range
1st turn charge. Anything they do beyond that is gravy. Giving
them a 1FP each would be way too much, and if you go with
the 1/3 rule, you're opening another can of worms as far as
organization, etc.
         In 40K they are nothing more than a big target for anyone
with a lascannon,as whatever is inside is bound to be far more
 effective than the Rhino itself, and harder to kill, too. Think
of the M113 in the modern army and you have it - it's a
battle taxi and that's it. Given numbers and close proximity,
they can do something such as close support and the CC kills
mentioned above, which reflects their value in 40K: A Ram
is about the only threatening attack they can make.

Chris Miller