Re: [Epic] Hero of the Day

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 20:18:37 -0400

>If you have a land raider or predator, chances are the lascannon is going
>their way. For some reason everyone I play assesses the threat of a
>predator as being much higher than an assault squad in a rhino. I guess
>half of it is because they don't know the contents, which raises a
>strategy point. Why can you not spend 7pts and buy just a rhino and not
>put anything in it (There are ways to get empty rhinos, but I want an
>explicit way) With extra rhinos, you can force your opponent to redirect
>his fire or split it, minimizing infantry casualties for very little
>cost. 10 rhinos for 70pts is cheap and very expendable, where as 10
>rhinos with a company of marines is expensive and deadly. Field them
>both, and which one does he shoot? He could take his chances with one
>det. and risk having the wrong one, or he could split his fire, either
>way the marine player has the upper hand.
>
>Steve

I'm afraid that wouldn't work twice. The first time your opponent might not
notice that one is empty until it is too late. Second game all he has to do
is look for a couple things. A: Which rhino detachments are acting like
their empty (Ie, not disgorging troops, staying out of h-t-h, or more or
less being expendable) And if he can't tell, then all he has to do is shoot
one. If you make the roles to see if the marines survive, then that's the
detachment with marines. If you don't, then the rhinos are empty. Of course,
you can make it work as a secondary type tactic, like fielding a bunch of
rhino's with an armor detachment, the opponent might mistake them for marine
carriers. It might work a few times, but I don't think you can just buy
rhinos. Besides, if they are mixed within a detachment, which ones are
carrying the troops.

A more workable idea is to leave some troops inside a rhino, in the scuffle
of battle your opponent will forget that some rhinos are still full.

A detachment of 4 Rhinos, 2 tact Squads and a Land Raider are driving
around. Ork player has lots of gretchin and some Battle Wagons, decides that
he can take two tact squads and a Land Raider, goes on Assault orders.
Marine player also goes on Assault orders, but his 4 rhinos lets loose 2
squads of Assault, while his Land Raider is carrying two Terminator Squads.
Ouch.

Tyler