[Epic] RE:

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:27:31 -0500

>> Yes, exactly. Their are basically 2 streams of Medieval Societies: the
>> Metal Weapons groups, who use live steel and pull their blows, and the
>> SCA who use Ratan 'safe' (HA!) weapons and full-force blows.
>[snip]
>
>And then there are the Marklanders, who use padded rattan, 2" padding
>wrapped with duct tape. Still can knock you for a loop, though.
>
>No kidding. That was one of the reasons I quit SCA. 5'9" and 140 pounds
>didn't work to well. To bad there are no modern combat groups,(other than
>paintball of course:).

-----> Yes It's LIVE ACTION MODERN COMBAT !!! FORGET THOSE CIVIL WAR
PANZIES WITH MUSKETS AND SWORDS AND BRING YOUR TANK, APC, AND DISPOSABLE
SHOULDER-FIRED MISSILE LAUNCHER TO CENTRAL PARK THIS SUNDAY!!!
Just Kidding - it would be cool though if someone had a WWII type
preservation group like the Confederate Air Force, but for tanks and
other vehicles. Hey lottery winners! I have an idea...

>On another Subject...To all you really good painters out there. How do you
>paint your infantry? I hear about people doing skulls on shoulder pads ect?
>How on earth do you do that? The best I can manage is I usually paint the
>guns and then do a swipe with a big brush to get the hats. Not to impressive,
>but pretty quick, and not bad looking.

I wouldn't try to get shoulder insignia on epic scale grunts if you want
to get them done before they become "contemporary" instead of "sci-fi".
Use nice colors, pay a little attention to the base, put decals on the
tanks & vehicles (or paint them) but the grunts are more impressive to
me with numbers rather than detail - get lots of infantry done, and
detail your war engines/tanks/etc. Painting your Ultramarine termies
heads white is one thing - checkerboarding their power fists is another
thing entirely...

Chris Miller