Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 21:05:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Bill Provick wrote:

> I wonder who Canada is in all this? I know they did exceptionally well in
> WWI (Or at least, I think) What about WWII, didn't we do a lot then too?

Nobody did real well in the Great War, except to prove that
"Over the top, boys!" wasn't a good tactic. The U.K. and Germany
only had decent tactics outside of Europe, in Africa and The Middle
East, where tactics were possible, by way of the Arab Revolt and with
Lettow-Vorbecks Raiders in Africa.

IIRC, Canadian Units did well in Iraq, with the other ANZAC forces in
WW1. In Europe, all UK forces were used in attrition attack mode, which
meant that the UK Generals knew that with having more soldiers than
Germany, Germany would lose because they would be "bled white" first.
All troops on both sides were considered as cannon fodder.
No new tactics till late '17 with British tanks and German Shock Troops
in 1918.

The U.K. forces in Europe were well respected by the Germans, to a point.
it is summed up best by this quote from a German General(name escapes me)

"The British Men fight like Lions, but are led by Donkeys"

In WW2 the Divisions from Canada did very well in France and Italy
and not sure of how they did in S.E. Asia

mike