Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys/WW2

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 19:02:59 -0700

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> I consider the Japanese to be the antithesis of Orks. The
> Japanese have a strong emphasis on solidarity, try to suppress
> individuality and certain types of creativity, and there aren't that
> many of them. ------->8------------- IMHO, the Japanese are far
> too orderly to be like Orks. I can't picture a bunch of Japanese men
> running around screaming "Waagh!". It's not appropriate in the
> corporate world, and it doesn't seem particularly samurai-like either.

Respectfully disagree.

The Japanese Culture is very orderly, stressing co-operation etc etc as
you so rightly said. One reason for this is the population density,
everyone living in each other's pockets. But another reason is that
historically, the Japanese have been unbelievably disorganised and
undisciplined, especially in the Military. In WW2, the Imperial Japanese
Navy and the Imperial Japanese Army were so at-odds that they gave each
other more disinformation than the Allies ever could. Japanese Generals
regularly disobeyed higher command, as did Japanese Admirals. (examples:
Guadalcanal, Leyte Gulf respectively). 10,000 Orks screaming "Waagh!"
and charging helter-skelter seems to me to be a very close equivalent to
10,000 Japanese screaming "10,000 Years!" and doing likewise.
If you've read any accounts of Japanese military training methods in
WW2, especially in the Army, you'd see the unbelievable brutality and
bastardisation that occurred. Many recruits were beaten to death, many
others suicided. The treatment of POWs ladelled out by Japanese Soldiers
was a reflection of the way they themselves had been treated. May Their
Socks Rot.

As for WW2 comparisons in general, I don't consider the exercise to be
particularly productive. Here are a few reasons why:

Chaos = Germans: Rationale
They Lost, they have a zillion equipment types but no mass of anything
in particular, they have a few mobile elite units while the mass is
"horse drawn", they're fighting the Commissars for "freedom", and
perpetuate the most astounding barbarities.

Imp Gd = Russians: Rationale
They have Commissars who Ghu's Sake! Also Penal Legions, masses of
artillery, masses of identical tanks, masses of masses, an unwieldy
command structure, cavalry, etc

But Also:

Imp Gd = US Army: Rationale
Lots of green infantry straight from the Repple-Depple, Air Superiority,
excellent Artillery, masses of so-so tanks

Orks = Russians: Rationale
Hordes. Lots of Hordes. Stereotyped tactics involving crushing the enemy
with Infantry riding on tanks going "Pobeida Urra!"/"Waagh" after a
short-range attack with masses of Mortars and dirupting salvo Rockets.

Both views seem equally valid to me.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo