Re: [Epic] The Hobby

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 06:44:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Bill Provick wrote:

[snip]
> >first and win" stuff dopes not interest me at all- I get REALLY pissed
> >off
> >when GW tries to sell their products by calling them "super powerful,
> >kick ass troops". What's the point of choosing troops and playing a
> >game if you need super powerful troops to do it with? One of these
[snip]

The balancing factor, for a good game design, is in the points cost.
Anyone will tell you that Space Marines are "super powerful, kick ass
troops" compared to Guardians. But the Marines cost more, also.

[slice]]
> Sure, playing against a grey army can be annoying. But to the point of not
> letting them play, or limiting myself because troops were not painted,
> that's just crazy. If they're gonna get painted, as far as I'm concerned,
> they're painted
[slice]

I will never play (again) against a opponent with an unpainted army. That
includes primer. A lot of the draw of Epic for me is in the visual impact
of the miniatures on the tabletop.
I once allowed a guy to play with his Orc units which were primered black,
with dots of colored paint on them to distinguish between units. That was
an ugly sight. It lead to some interesting exchanges during the game: "I
shoot at the Battlewagon with the blue dot".
I am not a champion painter, most of my infantry is Ultramarines painted
blue, with black bolters and a little light blue highlighting. Many of
my units are only two or three colors, and I don't do skulls, or
tactical symbols, or transfers. But they look a thousand times better
than thay would if they were primered black, and I have been complimented
on my paint jobs.
I would not play Epic if it were a board game, the rules are not good
enough to warrent playing otherwise.

> Tyler

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune