RE: [Epic] The Hobby

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:46:14 -0500

>> > I don't refuse games from people without painted armies, that
>> >would be pretty rude I reckon, many of mine aren't painted either. I do
>> >however get very frustrated when you see the same army month after month
>> >and the owner hasn't made any effort to even try painting it. I feel like
>> >they're missing out on something. And if they feel they're not missing out
>> >on anything I 'd have to ask 'why are you playing miniatures games
>> >then?'.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> > Tony.
>>
>> And they're reply is the answer to the question. "The rules"
>
> Are there really any rules out there that are that good? I haven't
>found them. A lot of people around here are switching to Warzone over 40K,
>they say the rules are heaps better and just having watched I can't really
>comment, but the miniatures are just so ordinary I'd have to be _really_
>impressed with the rules to play more than a few social games.
>
> I can see the point being made about using wooden blocks or
>counters, they're all just markers. I really do believe though that the
>miniatures are the attraction with miniatures based wargames, for me at
>least. All rules have holes, some rules have more holes or bigger holes
>than others, the better the miniature to plug them with the better.
>
>Thanks,
> Tony.

------> Ok, here's where I step back in:
        My question on the NG's at this point was "how many miniature
rules sets are better than the available boardgames on a given subject?"
Most of the time, mini rules are a compromise in detail and accurracy
compared
to a tight boardgame on the subject. Are there really that many rules
sets out
which you would be interested in playing with counters?
        Now with fantasy and sf type games, this is a little less applicable as
each background tends to be different, but for historical and modern
stuff, I've
seen many more quality rules sets for boards than for mini's.
        I think my feeling comes from that "creation" vibe that was mentioned
in another post: I built this unit, named it, painted it, and all my
other units,
and the terrain we're fighting over, and maybe my opponent's army as
well !
        Sure, I may have some of the same figures or models that another player
is using, but I'll bet they look quite different, and there's no
confusion as to who
did each unit. With counters, you lose that. That said, I'm big on
boardgames
too, but they are "different" to me. Even with less detailed rules, a
battle feels
different when it's "your" boys in there getting yanked off the table,
rather than
T-34 counter "A".

Chris Miller