Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys - Canadian navy

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:14:29 -0400

----------

> >I wonder who Canada is in all this? I know they did exceptionally well
in
> >WWI (Or at least, I think) What about WWII, didn't we do a lot then too?
> >
> >Tyler
>
> -----> Canada fought under the Brits in WW2 for the most part. Believe
> they had troops and
> some naval units as well.
>
> Chris Miller

The Canadian navy was pretty heavily involved with the U-boat campaign,
providing escorts for convoys and such. Newfoundland was an important
aerial base, because aircraft based there were able to provide cover for
convoys farther into the Atlantic than elsewhere. By the end of WW2, Canada
had the third largest navy in the world (after the US and Britain),
although it was mostly corvettes and destroyers, suitable for escort duties
and not much else.

Eugene