[Epic] (Off topic) Dune (was: Dune Epic 40K units)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:56:09 -0400

>>There is a boardgame about Dune but it is very simple and I don't
>>like it : the aim is to conquer a pre-determined number of sietchs
>>using diplomany and military forces (represented by some round
>>plastic markers like coins!). You can play Atreides, Harkonnens, Bene
>>Gesserit, Bene Tleilax, the Space Guild, etc... I don't remember well
>>but I was very disapointed when I tried it.
>
>Bene Tleilax? Isn't it Tleilaxu? Or something similar.

The original players in Dune are:
  Bene Gesserit
  Atreides
  Harkonnens
  The Space Guild
  The Emperor
  The Fremen

There was a suppliment in the General magazine that allowed for the
Bene Tleilaxu (or however it's spelled).

When I first played the game, I didn't like it. However, after playing
it a second time, it quickly became one of my favorite games. I think
it is quite excellent. However, it is a very non-traditional game,
and players who are used to traditional wargames (like me) are often
turned off by the mechanics of the game, especially the combat system.
Also, IMO, the real fun of the game is in the diplomacy and dealing,
so the game doesn't really play well unless you have 5 or 6 players.
If you can get enough people, the game is definitely worth the time,
and it has tremendous replay value. There are also 2 suppliments
for it which are fun, though not necessary.

David