Re: [Epic] Clan Tartans

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 02:06:26 -0500

> >A. Allen McCarley wrote:
> > I wantd my officers to stand out from the rest of the infantry, so I
> > left off the usual clan tartan on the right shoulder pad.
>
> Aha! You're the one with the tartan! I had a lot of fun painting a
> Warhound titan named Bulldog in McLeod tartan (o/~ Polka dots just don't
> go/ Pointy shoes hurt my toes....) Could you either send me the color
> schemes for other clans, or post them to the list (should anyone feel
> crazy enough to follow suit)?
>
> Thanks -BC

You know, I had intended to sit down with some source material and answer
this question seriously. Once I finally found the time, however, I faced
a very important question: How the *&_at_!! do you describe a tartan?

"You see, there's this thick blue line, next to this thinner red line. Inset
into the blue line is this bit of yellow......" Yuck. Got any idea what this
looks like yet?

Anyway, I thought that the best way to handle this might just be to give
you guys some references to check out. A quick web search found the following:

          http://www.scotweb.co.uk/tp/

     and

          http://www.tartans.com/

both have pictures of many of the historical Scottish tartans. They also
include many links to other sites; including the home pages of certain
clans.

Another good reference work is the following book:

              _Scottish_Clan_and_Family_Encyclopedia_

              by George Way of Plean and Romilly Squire
              (Harper Collins, 1994)

It's a good, hardbound book with lots of historical information. Any good
bookstore ought to be able to get it for you.

As for the Tartans I put on my infantry shoulder pads; well, I made them up.
I figured that it was enough of a stretch to imagine a world in the 41st
millenium that still used the old Scottish clan system; I didn't need to
assume that the family names would be the same! Besides, I wanted tartans
that would look good and could be made from the paints I had available.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.