[Epic] net epic

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:34:52 +0000

Greetings

Consensus achieved!
Thanks to all for a vigorous response!

NET EPIC SUMMARY

Epic army cards are in by virtually unanimous vote.

Pros
1-Defintely the "cheese factor is controlled more efficiently by this
method as opposed to units point system.
2-Armies can be made very quickly with little expenditure in
time(sometimes even before the day the game takes place).Also it is easy
to comfirm the "legality" of a opponents force with but a glance.
3-The cards are a wealth of vital information available at a
glance(morale,detachment configuration,Vp's).

Cons
1- lack of ability to "customize".

COMMENTS
1-Questions about points system or values of army cards have been
mentioned.What a unit should be worth or what value system(points value
equal to Vp's,points value at 25 pts. increments etc) will be discussed
with the appropiate army list at a later date. At this point I guess I
favor the psicology of seeing points values in the hundreds, but favor
those opinions that Vp's assigned to a specific increment(25, 50 etc.)
instead of the present rounding up should be instituted.

2-Limits on how many of a given company or support cards is a definite
bonus as it cuts the "cheese factor". Also the limit should be points
dependant. I have used the following system for some time without
problems:battles of 3000 pts. or less no repeats(these are small games
after all!),games of 3000-6000 pts. a maximum of three of any type,for
every additional 3000 pts. another 3 of that type may be selected(its
less bothersome to see repetitive units in very large games since the
opponent is also doing the same). As always opinions are very welcome!

3-As far as special cards for customizing a given force,even though I
sympathize with those that would like to see some type of "wargear" card
I have to agree with those that say that in war what you got is what you
get. Also I visualize many possible design flaws in making balanced
custom cards(besides the obvious dilema of making the cards), but I also
intend to add a appendix of optional rules at the end of Net Epic so
some level of customizing will be available(it just wont be part of the
core rules).

PART II

Also virtually unanimous agreement on what order counters represent-keep
present definitions!

COMMENTS

1-There were many opinions linked with views regarding the movement and
initiative phase, these will be addressed in the next topic
discussion(movement and initiative).
2-I agree that a snap fire capability should be given to all units and
this should be distinct from the capabilities of AA units.As with many
of the topics I already use a hybrid that incorporate these these
suggested variants. Since this is more associated with movement and
firing these will be discussed in the next segment in depth.

Specific subtopics will be posted tomorrow.
Also any other comments I have or tidbits on the present topic will be
posted tommorrow as well.

United we stand!
Peter