Re: [Epic] Tyranids vs Tyranids

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 02:57:32 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 1-Sep-97 Re: [Epic] Tyranids vs Tyra.. by Tyler
Provick_at_intranet.c
> I don't know, if you brain wipe you probably have the ability to make
> someone hate something.

Well yes, but the ability doesn't mean that they do. Hatred can cause
people to do things you might not want them to do... easier, I think, to
do total loyalty, tactical doctrine, and some self-preservation but a
willingness to die for your cause. Ideally they'd also have a sense of
what they can do relative to 'normal' people, and why they should defend
those people. (See, for example, Mercedes Lackey's "The Last
Herald-Mage" trilogy.)

>With all the indoctrination that Marines go through,
> and the traumatic inpregnation of new organs,

Given the gradual schedule of the introduction of those organs, I doubt
it's all that bad. (On average it looks like the various organs are
implaneted over the course of about four years; the shortest time is two
years.)

>I think most Marines don't
> want to settle down.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say *that*. Die fighting, and all. But I don't
think they're frothing at the mouth to get into a fight, either, which
is a bit more extreme than my usual vision of "single minded killing
machine", but not by much.

>Seeing as many Marines are taken from young adults who
> have proved though combat they have what it takes, I'd say they were already
> pretty much single minded killing machines.

Hrm, not really. Recruits are usually 10-12 year old males who have
lots of people around them who have what it takes, or who prove at an
early age that they've got the drive & determination to do something.
The Space Wolves, IIRC, will accept into their ranks any youth who
manages to climb to their fortress at the top of the tallest mountain on
the planet. That doesn't sound like a killing machine to me....

Later,

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...