Re: [Epic] Terrain

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:14:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Chris Pinson wrote:

> I am creating some terrain out of balsa wood but I want it sanded very
> smooth to remove all traces of the grain.
>
> I heard somewhere that there was a varnish type material which would
> coat the wood and provide a smooth finish after sanding. Am I imagining
>things ???

thats the one rotten thing about balsa wood, the grain, and how to fill
it.

one way is to use drywall spackle from Red Devil, called One Time Finish
look for it a hardware shops. if you have to get it from a hobby shop,
go to the R/C airplane areas and ask for Model Magic Filler from Carl
Goldberg Models. get the red devil stuff, though, its just as good
and 1/2 the money.

spead the stuff on thin, let dry. sand. repeat until smooth.
use spray primer, let dry, sand, repeat until smooth

method 2

cut out newspaper the size of the balsa wood, and spread some white
glue on the balsa. wet the newsprint, and press onto balsa. let dry,
sand lightly. spray prime. let dry, sand, repeat.

method 3

spray prime about 6-7 light coats of primer, sanding between each
coat. don't spray a heavy coat, as it will only soak into the grain,
and take longer to dry

method 4

don't use balsa wood. use basswood. it is nearly as easy to work with,
without a heavy grain pattern. one thin coat of spray primer is all
that is needed, with light sanding. get at hobby shop.

use method 2 or 4. it takes too long to finish balsawood to a smooth
finish.

mike