Re: [Epic] SuperHeavies

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:21:31 -0400

> How have the Superheavy units performed? Imperial tanks & Orky
B-forts,
> mainly.

I have fielded a fair number of Superheavies and my main Ork opponent
likes B-Forts, so we have racked up a bit of experience with them.
First off, I think that the 4 Damage can be misleading as there's
plenty of stuff out there that kills these things fast (like the time a
Lifta-Droppa killed two Shadowswords before they even got off a shot!).

Anyway, in groups they can be absolutely devastating. 4 Baneblades =
32 FP at 45cm. I prefer a combined group of 2 Shadowswords + 2
Baneblades. Good firefighting, good shooting, good titan killing. A
group like this mixed it up with some battle fortresses, a great
gargant and a kult of speed in one of our recent games. Basically
mutual annihilation ensued (with the aid of my other detachments who
were busily shooting the gargant and the fortresses) but it was
incredible fun.

I think they are a balanced unit overall as we've seen them run the
gamut from blown to bits early to sticking it out til the end, with no
apparent tendency towards one end or the other. They are very
vulnerable to bad tactics - I guess the 4 damage is less of a buffer
than it may seem, but they can definitely dish out as well as they can
take.

Battlefortresses of course can also transport 4 units, but they do die
a bit more quickly due to their 5+ armour. Still since most of what is
directed at these units is AT and Death Ray, the armor difference does
not usually make a huge difference, IMHO.

Sum it up - they're useful, balanced, not overpowered. On a side note,
I think the Eldar Engines of Vaul are the best Super Heavies in the
game. The pop-up in the war engine phase makes them extremely
valuable. Just make sure you bring arty and war engines when fighting
Eldar.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius