RE: [Epic] LOS (was marine chapters)

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 13:47:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Kelley, Kevin J., JCS wrote:

> >-snip-o-matic-
> >Rule book, page 18, "Line of Fire Block"
> >
> >"Line of Fire is blocked by terrain features sucha s buildings, hills, woods
> >etc but not by other
> >units."
> >
> The examples seem to show that you can fire into builings, woods with
> the resulting to hit mod (unless you are AT). It does not say how far
> in. If I am trying to hide stands behind a woods or building then do I
> have to put them behind the cover in question?
>

> >kevin.kelley_at_...
> >My opinions are my own. My employer know nothing about it.

I got an email from the Rulz Boys on this question some time ago.
The answer was a real beauty, in my sarcastic opinion.

If units are less than 15cm inside a contiguous piece of terrain (for
example, a strip of trees 10cm wide x 30cm long) then they can be spotted,
they shoot and are shot as if they were in LOS. They get the cover bonus,
of course. This applies to any terrain, so most buildings are clear as
far as shooting units inside them goes, you just have to deal with the
cover bonus.
If units are behind a piece of terrain, they are concealed from LOS. They
do not get any cover bonus, unless they are in some other piece of
terrain, but they cannot be targetted by units which need a LOS.

This leads to some very weird contrasts. A unit can be 15cm inside a
woods and be shot, where another unit can hide behind a wood strip 5cm
wide and be invisible. Hmmm....

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune