Re: [Epic] Battle Report [LONG!]

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:23:03 -0400

Sean,

> Here is the first Battle Report. It's long and we might have made 1
mistake.

Fantastic! Well written and exciting. Watching two juggernauts like
Chaos and the Tyranids fight it out is always a blast, especially when
both sides are well-commanded.

> The Swarm started with a bombing run on the Engines of War. Both air
groups
> descended on them but one was intercepted by the Green Dragons. The
Green
> Dragons blasted the Harridan and 4 Gargoyles out of the sky and only
one of
> their own number was damaged. The remaining 2 Gargoyles continued
the run.
> Tyranid airpower managed to destroy one of the Engines of Khorne.

I would definitely increase the size of your air detachments. Tyranids
can absolutely dominate the air, but only by deploying swarms of
gargoyles. A constructive comment: With Chaos having air detachments
of their own, I would have kept one of the air groups on intercept.
Even though you have the lower Intercept value, this allows you to gang
up on his interceptors (Doomwings) and probably wipe them out the first
time they try to stop your other group's ground strike. At worst, it
may force him to not intercept, giving you a free strike.

> bugs beat them back but only manage to kill a single Bloodletter.
The Lord
> of Change howls in victory and then proceedes to slam into the wall
while
> retreating from the building. The resulting pile of rubble kills it
> instantly! [A 1 for dangerous terrain, followed by a 1 for a hit,
followed by
> a failed save] The Heavy Assault Group prevent Chaos from recovering
the
> Relic after all.

Absolutely incredible! Unfortunately (I hate to say this) buildings
are not dangerous terrain for infantry, which the Lord of Change is.
For a Wave Serpent, this would be right, but not for a Lord of Change
(skimming infantry only test for river, swamp or marsh terrain on
'normal' worlds) unless you declared the buildings dangerous
beforehand. Still, it made for a fun ending and I can just see the
look on that Greater Daemon's face (?)... <grin>

> Chaos 4 Tyranid -3

Talk about close games!

> The Chaos Bubble:

I love to see folks work out strategies like this. Perhaps we can put
this one up on one of the tactics pages?

> Chaos Heros: The Hornet Knights ( 6 Slaanesh Engines ) prove that
> firepower is not a dirty word, slaying almost 100 bugs ( 20 stands )
> on their own.

Wow, I hadn't realized they killed that many. In my last game vs.
these guys they took down a Phantom Titan in one turn. They seem to
know how to shoot. :-)

Thanks for the report!

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius