Re: [Epic] LOS

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:04:04 -0700

At 12:35 PM 9/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> Good idea. Speaking for myself, I would need to make some kind
>> of counter
>> to remember the status.
>>
>> So, could "in cover/out of cover" status change w/out moving?
>> The
>> decision should be in effect for the entire turn, IMHO.
>>
>> Wait a sec., I just re-read this...
>>
>> Don't you mean "cannot shoot/be shot at" if not in LOS? Why
>> would being in
>> cover prevent shooting? In cover/out of cover only applies re:
>> shooting,
>> right?
>> Picture a guy hidden behind tree/shrub/whatever. It's the
>> poking out to
>> take a shot that makes him vulnerable (or "her", if a guardian, "it"
>> if a
>> 'Nid, whatever).
>>
>> Sorry, being PC makes me brain 'urt...
>>
>> Nickles
>
> Let me clarify. I normally play board games and sometimes continue to
>think in there terms.
>
>If a unit enters cover (e.g. woods) the moving player desides if that
>unit will take full advantage of the cover (total cover) and stay out of
>LOS, or will just use the cover to make it more difficult for that unit
>to be hit.

        <snip>

        An important thing to remember is that a unit does not have to actually be
_in_ the woods (building, any tall thing) to gain the LOS benefits but
consequently cannot shoot at what might shoot at it, if you see my point.
To gain the "in cover" benefit on the firepower table (talking E40K, here)
then the unit must actually be _in_ the woods.

        <snip>

>As for artillery, IMHO, units in woods should be more verinerable (sp?)
>to being hit because of the shells hitting the tree limbs and exploding
>and thereby creating more shrapnel. Therefore, I would say that the
>case when units are hiding in the wood (i.e. in total cover) barrage or
>artillery weapons could target them.

        <snip>

        Sounds logical. Were I your opponent, I would say we work something out to
take it into account, like adding 1FP for every artillery unit firing into
the woods, etc. It shouldn't be unbalancing, whatever you come up with, and
of course requires your opponent's agreement. Just don't let your tactics
rely on it if you plan to play in "official" tournaments or against
opponents you don't know.

        <snip>

>As for changing status, going from total cover to partial cover without
>moving, why not. How difficult is it to stand up from the bottom of a
>foxhole and start firing on the enemy?

        <snip>

        Not difficult at all. I just think it would be unfair to count as
out-of-LOS for an entire turn, except for when your units are shooting.

        But of course, I personally have no problem with playing what some might
consider "cheese" as long as both sides are equally cheesy and you are
having fun. 8)

Nickles

        <snip>