Re: [Epic][E40K] Flavoured Version (Long)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:18:11 -0700

E40K Flavoured Units Version 1.1

For all those people who feel that E40K is a little flavourless compared
with SM2, here's a list of units which are playable under the E40K
system,
yet have the flavour of SM1 and SM2 (and a bit more besides). The intent
is
to allow all units that have ever appeared in any edition of Rogue
Trader,
Adeptus Titanicus, Codex Titanicus, Space Marine, Epic Space Marine,
Titan
Legions, Warhammer 40K, Armageddon, Horus Heresy, Chaos Attack or even,
dare I say it, Necromunda to be used, while remaining within the E40K
rule
mechanics.

It is intended that these be played strictly WYSIWYG. Some conversion
will
therefore be neccessary for some units, as no models for them were ever
released. For some units, this will mean a paint-job, for others some
more extensive work. In general, the scarcety of the models accurately
reflects the scarcety of the prototype units - for example, the
Vulcan Megabolter Titan Head is nearly unknown, and the Adeptus Astartes
have few Bullock Jetbikes in their inventory.

Part I:

NEW RULES:

Medic - Cost 10 - add +1 to Die Roll for BM Removal

Repair - Cost 10 - give any one non-War-Engine unit in the
detachment a save

Chaplain - Cost 10 - add +1 to Die Roll for Leadership Test

ForceField - Cost 50 - add a BM to any enemy detachment when any of its
units
comes into base-to-base contact.

Dozer - clears a path through Ruins, Rubble and Woods.

Tunneller - as per CJ21, a Tunneller appears as if dropped by a Drop
Pod. The
number is its transport capacity. Also has Dozer ability (see above)
PLUS:In scenarios such as Planetary Assault and Ambush, it appears on
its
(free) Launch Vehicle. It is launched as per troops dismounting.

OPTIONAL:
Titan Close Combat Weapons

In addition to the normal abilities of a Close Combat Weapon, when
fighting
other Titans, Use the following Chart

 + Means you get an advantage, add 1 to your AF when fighting against
another
Titan armed with this weapon.

                 BC CF PF PR PS TR WR LB EW
BattleClaw (BC) = + + - - + - - + Thus a Titan with a Chain
Fist
ChainFist (CF) - = + + - - + + - gets a +1 when fighting one
with
Power Fist (PF) - - = - + + - + + a Power Ram
Power Ram (PR) + - + = - + - + -
Power Saw (PS) + + - + = - + - -
Trident (TR) - + - - + = + - +
Wrecker (WR) + - + + - - = - +
LaserBurner(LB) + - - - + + + = -
Energy Whip (EW) - + - + + - - + =

No advantage is gained when fighting a Gargant, BioTitan, Eldar Titan or
Chaos
Hellblade etc, regardless of weapon used.
If your Titan has 2 or more different Close Combat Weapons, secretly
write down
which one you're going to use, immediately before close combat
resolution.

REALLY OPTIONAL:
Named Characters
With your opponent's agreement, you may use a Named Character. Whether
your
opponent agrees or not, you pay the points cost.
If your army includes a Named Character, your opponent is allowed to
take
a Named Character available to his army, free of cost.
If two armies both contain the same character, the character backs
neither
and does not appear on the table.
Alternate rules may apply instead for Campaigns, and players are
encouraged
to use them instead.

Named Characters are normally 'special' characters such as SM Captains
who
have achieved legendary status, and have additional abilities at the
appropriate cost.

Examples:
IG:Commissar Yarrick : as IG Commissar + Assault + Chaplain
Orks:Warlord Ghazgull : as Ork Warlord + Psyker + Chaplain
Space Wolves:Njall StormCaller : as SM Captain + Psyker
Eldar:Jain Zar : as Exarch + Assault

Part II

CJ - in a Citadel Journal
* - renamed. For example, the SM/IG Support Weapon is a Tarantula,
the Squat Support Weapon in CJ21 is a Thudd Gun.
** - existing unit in another army list, for example IG Bikes are
     the same as SM Bikes (just not subborn)

II-A The Imperials

Type Move FP Range AF Armour Special

INFANTRY

Imperial Guard
--------------
Penal Legions as Imp Gd + Stubborn
Human Bombs 10 0 NA 0 4+ Rampage, Stubborn
Mole Mortar 10 1 30-90 0 4+ Artillery
Thudd Guns*(CJ) 10 2 45 0 4+ Artillery
Assault Guard as Imp Gd + Jump Packs, Assault
Mechanicus Adept as IG + Repair
Beastmen** 10 0 NA 2 4+
Tarantulas* 10 AT 45 0 4+
Medic as IG + Medic

(IG)Adepta Sororitas
--------------------
BattleSisters 10 1 30 2 5+ Stubborn
Sister Superior as Battlesister + Hero
Mater Misericordia as Battlesister + Medic
Witchsmeller as Battlesister + Psyker

(IG)Hive Gangs
--------------
Juve 10 1 15 1 3+
Gangster as Imperial Guard
Gang Boss as Gangster + Hero

(IG)Adeptus Arbites
-------------------
Judge 10 1 15 2 4+
SWAT Team 10 1 30 2 5+ Infiltrate

(SM)Adeptus Custodes
--------------------
Custodian as SM + Hero + Psyker

Space Marines
-------------
Rapier 10 3 15 1 5+ Close Support
TechMarine as SM + Repair
Apothecary as SM + Medic
Chaplain as SM + Chaplain

VEHICLES

Imperial Guard
--------------
Gorgon AVE 15 4 15 3 6 Dozer, Save, Close
(Armoured Vehicle, Engineer) Support, Transport(2)
Bikes** 35 1 15 2 4+
LandSpeeders** 35 2 30 1 4+ Skimmer
Robot**(CJ) 15 1 45 2 6+ Rapid Fire
Termite**(CJ) 10 0 NA 1 6+ Tunneler(1), Rampage
Mole**(CJ) 10 0 NA 3 6+ Tunneler(4), Rampage
Termite LV 20 0 NA 0 4+
Mole LV 20 0 NA 0 3+

Adeptus Arbites
---------------
LawWagon 35 1 15 2 4+

Adeptus Astartes
-----------------
Bullock Jetbike 40 1 15 1 4+ Skimmer

Imperial War Engines

Hellbore
========
speed armour void s damage assault transport
10 6 - 8 8 Tunneller(8)

Weapons Fire Arc Range FP
3 x Quad MultiMelta Batteries All Round 15 8

Critical Damage Table
2D6 Result Damage Notes
2 Heavy Hit +0 Immobilised 1 turn
3 Thrusters +1 Immobilised until repaired
4 MultiMeltas +2 1 Battery damaged until repaired
5 Screw +2 Assault factor halved until repaired
6 Hull +3 Immobilised 1 turn, Armour reduced to 5+
7 Thrusters Blown +3 Permanently Immobilised
8 Transport Deck +3 as above, D6 transported units take a
                                hit, others dismount next turn
9 Fire +4 1/2 speed, 1 pt damage per turn until
                                repaired
10 Fires +4 D6 fires as above
11 System Crash +4 All systems must be repaired.
12 Catastrophe

Catastrophic Damage Table
1-3 Internal Explosion Wrecked
4-5 Engine Explosion Destroyed,Roll D6 to hit any in contact
6 Fuel Explosion Destroyed,Roll D6 to hit any within 2D6cm

Note: The Hellbore uses the same rules for Tunnellers as in CJ21, ie
they
come on as per drop pods.

Hellbore LV (Launch Vehicle)
============================
speed armour void s damage assault transport
10 5 - 4 2 -

Weapons Fire Arc Range FP
2 x Dual MultiMelta Batteries All Round 15 4

Critical Damage Table
2D6 Result Damage Notes
2 Engine +1 Half speed until repaired
3 Tracks +0 Immobilised until repaired
4 Weapon +1 No firing until repaired
5 Track KO +1 Permanently Immobilised
6 System Crash +2 All systems must be repaired.
7-12 Catastrophe

Catastrophic Damage Table
1-3 Internal Explosion Wrecked
4-5 Engine Explosion Destroyed,Roll D6 to hit any in contact
6 Powerpack Explosion Destroyed,Roll D6 to hit any within 5cm

Capitol Imperialis
==================
speed armour void s damage assault transport
10 6 6 12 10 12

Weapons Fire Arc Range FP
Behemoth Cannon Front 30 24
2 x Sponson Batteries All Round 30 2

Critical Damage Table
2D6 Result Damage Notes
2 Heavy Hit +0 Immobilised 1 turn
3 Tracks +1 Immobilised until repaired
4 Sponsons +2 1 Battery damaged until repaired
5 Behemoth +2 Cannon damaged until repaired
6 Hull +3 Immobilised 1 turn, Armour reduced to 5+
7 Tracks KO +3 Permanently Immobilised
8 Transport Deck +3 as above, D6 transported units take a
                                hit, others dismount next turn
9 Fire +4 1/2 speed, 1 pt damage per turn until
                                repaired
10 Fires +4 D6 fires as above
11 System Crash +4 All systems must be repaired.
12 Catastrophe

Catastrophic Damage Table
1-3 Internal Explosion Wrecked, all crew lost
4-5 Engine Explosion Destroyed,Roll D6 to hit any within 5cm
6 Rector Explosion Destroyed,Roll D6 to hit any within 2D6cm

TechGuard/Titan Legions

New Weapons:

Blaster FP 12 Range 30 (Laser Blaster)
Vulcan FP 16 Range 15 (Vulcan MegaBolter, MeltaCannon)
Corvus Assault Transport(4)
Landing Pad As CJ
FC Centre As CJ
Devotional Bell +Psyker
Banner Pole(s) +Chaplain
Carapace Multi-Laser as CJ
Secondary Weapon Head as CJ
Combat Head as CJ
Castellan Head +Psyker
Command Head +Chaplain

The following can be mounted on the Banner Mounts at additional cost:
Devotional Bell, Banners, Carapace Multi-Lasers +10

The following can be mounted on the head at additional cost:
Secondary Weapon Head,Combat Head,Castellan Head,Command Head +10
MegaCannon, Corvus Assault, Vulcan +50

Warlord Titans (only) may be given a ForceField (Electroshock) at the
appropriate cost.

Organisation and Points costs

Imperial Guard Penal Legion Infantry Detachment
Command:
Up to 3 Command Squads 32 pts
Consists of 1 PL unit

Main Force:
Up to 3 Squads for each command unit:
Penal Legion Squad 16 pts
Consists of 2 PL units

Support:
Up to 5, no more than main force:
Human Bombs 7 pts
Robot Group 24 pts each
consists of 1-3 Robots

Penal Legions are not issued with support weapons, nor vehicles.
C-of-C : Command Squad only

(IG)Beastman Detachment
-----------------------
Command:
IG Command Unit 32 pts
Extra to Mount in Chimera +14 pts

Main Force: Up to 10 of:
Beastman Squad 9 pts per unit
Consists of 1-4 Beastman Units

Support: Up to 5 of:
Sentinel Squadron 8 pts per Unit
Consists of 1-3 Sentinels

Support Weapon Battery 13 pts per unit
Consists of 1-3 Support Weapons

Hydra Flak Tank 24 pts
Chimera 14 pts

C-of-C : Command Squad->any Vehicle

Imperial Guard Lex Militarum Detachment
---------------------------------------
Command:
Up to 3 Command Squads 32 pts
Consists of 1 Judge Unit
Extra to upgrade to LawWagon Bike* +2 pts
Extra to mount in a Chimera* +14 pts
Extra to upgrade to PsiJudge (Psyker) +5 pts
Extra to Upgrade to Captain (Hero) +5 pts

Main Force:
For each command Unit, Up to 3 squads from:
Adeptus Arbites Constabulary 16 pts
Consists of 2 Judge Units
Extra to mount in a Chimera* +14 pts
Extra to upgrade to LawWagons* +4 pts

Support: Up to 5, and no more than Main Force, of:
Robot Group 24 pts
consists of 1-3 Robots
Hellhound Flame Tank 12 pts
Griffon Mortar 19 pts
Chimera 14 pts
SWAT Team 15 pts

C-of-C: Command Squad->SWAT Team->Any Judge->Any non-Robot

Imperial Guard Impressed Hive Gang
----------------------------------
Command:

1 GangBoss (Hero) 45 pts
Extra to upgrade to Psyker +5 pts

Main Force:
Up to 10 of

Gangster Squad
Consists of 1-2 Gangsters 8 pts each

Juve Squad
Consists of 1-2 Juves 5 pts each

Support:
Up to 1 IG Commissar (hero) 12 pts

C-of-C: Commissar->GangBoss->Gangster->Juve

(Imperial Guard)
Adepta Sororitas Infantry Detachment
------------------------------------
Command:
1 Detachment HQ at 25 pts and
Up to 1 Sister Superior (Hero ) 25 pts
Extra to Upgrade to Chaplain (Chaplain) +10 pts
Extra to Upgrade to Witchsmeller (Psyker) +5 pts
Extra to Upgrade to Mater Misericordia (Medic) +10 pts
Extra to mount in Rhino* +7 pts
Extra to mount in Land Raider* +35 pts
Extra to mount in Razorback* +14 pts

Main Force:
Up to 10 of

Battlesister Squad 30 pts
Consists of 2 Battlesister Units
Extra to upgrade both to Chastisers +10 pts
(Heavy Weapons)
Extra to mount in Rhinos +7 pts

Novitiate Squad
Consists of 1 Battlesister Unit (Infiltrators) 16 pts

Support:
Up to 10, and no more than Main Force of:

Support Weapon Battery 13 pts per unit
consists of 1-3 support weapons
Land Raider 35 pts
Razorback 15 pts
Predator 27 pts
Whirlwind 26 pts

C-of-C:SisterSuperior->Battlesister->Novitiate->Any

Imperial Guard Tunneler Detachment
----------------------------------
Command:
Up to 3 Command Groups 33 pts
Extra to Mount in Mole* +10 pts
Extra to Mount in Termite* +14 pts
Extra to upgrade to Captain (Hero) +5 pts
Extra to upgrade to Primaris Psyker (Psyker) +5 pts

Main Force:
For each Command Group, Up to 3 of
IG Squad consisting of 2 IG units 14 pts
Extra to mount in Termite +14 pts

Support:
Up to 10 and no more than Main+Command of:
Mole +10 pts

Up to 1 Commissar (IG, Hero) 12 pts
Extra to Mount in Mole +10 pts

C-of-C: Command Group->Commissar->Any IG->Any Unit

Adeptus Custodes Detachment
---------------------------
+25 pts for HQ

Command: none
Main Force: Up to 10 Adeptus Custodes at 35 pts

Support: none

C-of-C: Any

NOTE: Only to be used on Earth.

Additions to existing army lists:

Anywhere which has "Mount in Chimera", add
"Mount in Gorgon" +26 pts

Anywhere which has "Leviathan" add
"Capitol Imperialis 500 pts"
"Hellbore 350 pts"

Anywhere which has "Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Squad" add underneath

"Imperial Guard Jump-Pack Infantry 10 pts
Consists of 1 IG unit (Assault, Jump Packs)"

Anywhere which has "Support Weapon Battery" add
"Support Weapons may be Tarantulas, Thudd Guns or Mole Mortars"
For Space Marines only:
"Support Weapons may be Tarantulas, Thudd Guns, Rapiers or Mole Mortars"

Anywhere which has "Space Marine Land Speeder Squadron", add
"Space Marine Bullock Jetbike Squadron 19 pts each
Consists of 1-3 Bullock Jetbikes"

Anywhere which has "Leman Russ Tank Squadron", add
"Land Speeder Squadron 20 pts each
Consists of 1-3 Land Speeders"

Anywhere which has "Space Marine Attack Bike Squadron" or "Ogryn Squad",
add
"Robot Detachment 22 pts each
Consists of 1-3 Robots"

Anywhere which has "Include a Commissar (Hero) +6 pts" append "Or Medic
 (Medic) +10 pts"

Anywhere which has "Space Marine Librarian" append
"or Apothecary(Medic) or Chaplain(Chaplain) or TechMarine(Repair)
Extra to Upgrade any of the Above except Librarian to Hero +5 pts"

Any IG Command Unit or Commissar may be mounted in a Rhino for 10 pts.
Marauders and Thunderbolts may be included as organic SM forces at an
additional cost of +25 pts each. (This way, you don't take the Strategy
Rating Penalty).

Modelling and Conversions:

Real Men get out their Exactos and carve the old plastic Land Speeders
crews
so they look like IG rather than SMs. I don't bother, just a paint job
suffices.

As for others:
Use the old IG bikes for IG bikes and AA bikes.
Do some swapping of Beastman and IG heads to produce new Hi-Tech
Beastmen
and suitably primitive Hive Gangs.
IG Assault Troops are easily converted to Adepta Sororitas: just clip
off
the jump packs with nailclippers. This gives a wimple effect to the
head,
similar to the one shown in Rogue Trader.
Old Eldar Guardians are easily converted to Adeptus Custodes - just
replace the
weapon with a lance, and rip off the backpack. A bit more chopping and
changing to the head, and they make good Juves.
Adeptus Arbites - use old IG troops with their weapons cut down to
shotguns.
Human Bombs can be made from the old unarmed IG command groups.

Some Justifications:
Where to begin... OK, why Hive Gangs? Because they are represented by
counters
in "Armageddon", which also has rules for using this WH40K boardgame to
generate Epic SM2 battles. They're just plain needed for some historical
scenarios.

Why Adeptus Arbites? They're in "Horus Heresy", same deal. Also the
Adeptus
Custodes, which should never, ever be in any battle other than a special
scenario set during the Horus Heresy, or a similar (later) event on
Earth.
The combination of the two leads to Epic Necromunda, where large-scale
riots have to be bloodily suppressed (how else?). BTW Judge Dredd IS in
the WH40K Mythos.

Nuns With Guns had to be included. Rogue Trader tells how they are the
Wichfinders and Sentinels of all of the rest of the Imperium. Including
sniffing out Heresies in the Adeptus Astartes. Not merely that, but they
have "similar equipment" to the AA when they (rarely) go to war. They
are heavily into "Purity of Essence" and tolerate no infractions
including
Genetic drift. Squats, Beastmen, Ratlings, Psykers, Ogryn, they're ALL
MUTANTS! KILL THE MUTANT! What GW does with them in WH40K in future, I
dunno.

Penal Legions, with remotely-controlled Frenzon-injecting wristbands
were
in Rogue Trader from the start. Human Bombs were added shortly
thereafter.
This is a bit of flavour I particularly like.

The Capitol Imperialis is to a Leviathan as a Warlord is to a Reaver.
The
Behemoth cannon is a bit of a dodge, in SM2 it has the firepower of 4
batteries of Whirlwinds (ie 12 of em) but a shorter range, plus
secondaries.

The Hellbore was a wimp and overpriced in SM2. In SM1 it was a monster.
This version is closer to the SM1 version than the SM2 one, and makes
its use
worthwhile. IF you can find a model of it...

Finally, a few units were made up out of whole cloth to fill a perceived
lack
in the army lists. E.g. Adeptus Arbites SWAT Teams. The
Rock-Paper-Scissors
of the Titan Close Combat weapons was as a replacement for the
complexity
involved in the old Adeptus Titanicus. It's simple, and in the very
small bit
of playtesting I've done, it seems to work. +1 to AF may not sound like
much,
but it converts to a greatly increased chance of winning vs an otherwise
50/50
chance.

Part II-B Da Orks will follow in a few days. And if anyone out there
wants to
put this on a Web Page, be my guest.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo