[Epic] Daemon World armies (Long)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:11:53 -0400

In WH40k, there are three seperate army lists for Choas: the
Chaos Marine list, the unofficial cultist list, and the unofficial
Daemon World list. The 1st two made it into E40k, but the last one
somehow didn't. So, just to satisfy my sense of completeness, here's
a new chaos detachment to represent Daemon World armies.

        Daemon worlds exist only where realspace and warpspace
overlap and intermix, such as in the Eye of Terror. Each world is
ruled by a Daemon Prince who gets to play god with both the denizens
of its planet and the world itself. The Princes often wage wars
against one another using armies of worshippers and hideous mutants,
raised from the planets that the Princes lord over. These armies
rarely, if ever, venture out into realspace.

                                FIRE
TROOP TYPE SPEED RANGE POWER ASSAULT ARMOR NOTES
---------- ----- ----- ----- ------- ----- -----
Chaos Warrior 10cm 15cm 1 3 4+ *
Chaos Champion as Chaos Warrior Hero*
Chaos Magus as Chaos Warrior Hero, Psyker*
Beastman 10cm n/a 0 2 4+ *
Minotaur 10cm n/a 0 6 5+
Troll 10cm n/a 0 6 5+ Save, Stupid
Chaos Hound 15cm n/a 0 2 3+

* These units may have further abilities as choosen from the army list

Stupid: A Stupid detachment must take a Leadership (Ld) test before it
can be given ANY non-Broken order. This test is in addition to any
other Ld tests that must be taken (i.e. in order to give the
detachment Overwatch orders, two Ld tests must be passed). Failing
the test means that the detachment will go on normal orders for the
turn.

---
	An Epic 40k Daemon World army would be composed of everything
but Chaos Space Marine, Chaos Space Marine Armor, and Cultist
detachments.  The Supreme Commander (if any) should be a Daemon
Prince.  Any detachment that allows taking Chaos Space Marine squads
as support (Chaos Engine detachment, frex) should have the CSM entry
replaced with the Chaos Warrior entry.  The Daemon World army should
be restricted to fights taking place on Daemon Worlds, but who's to
say a particularly ambitious Champion/Magus couldn't get their
tentacles on a space hulk and drift out into Imperial space?
---
DAEMON WORLD DETACHMENT
=======================
COMMAND
-------
You must choose a commander:
Detachment HQ				+25 pts
Up to one Chaos Champion		 18 pts
Consists of 1 Chaos Warrior unit (Hero)
  upgrade to Jugger or Steed of
   Slaanesh (Calvary)*			Free
  upgrade to Disc of Tzeentch
   (Calvary, Skimmer)*			Free
Up to one Chaos Magus			 28 pts
Consists on 1 Chaos Warrior unit (Hero, Psyker)
  upgrade to Steed of Slaanesh
   (Calvary)*				Free
  upgrade to Disc of Tzeentch
   (Calvary, Skimmer)*			Free
	(* Choose only one option)
MAIN FORCE
----------
Choose up to 10 warbands from the following list:
Chaos Warrior Warband			 10 pts/unit
Consists of 1 to 4 Chaos Warrior units
  upgrade to Mark of Khorne (Rampage)*	+ 1 pt/unit
  upgrade to Mark of Slaanesh
   (Stubborn)*				+ 1 pt/unit
  mount on Chaos Steeds (Calvary)	+ 6 pts/unit
Beastman Warband			  5 pts/unit
Consists of 1 to 4 Beastman units
  Include a Beastman Champion (Assault)	+ 1 pt/unit
Minotaur Warband			 10 pts/unit
Consists of 1 or 2 Minotaur units
Troll Warband				 10 pts/unit
Consists of 1 Troll unit
Chaos Hound Pack			  4 pts/unit
Consists of 1 to 3 Chaos Hound units
	(* Choose only one option)
SUPPORT
-------
Make up to 10 choices from the following list, but you may not
exceed the number of choices made on the Main Force list:
Khorne Daemon Engine			 26 pts
Nurgle Daemon Engine			 31 pts
Slaanesh Daemon Engine			 29 pts
Chaos Artillery				 50 pts
Silver Tower				 18 pts
CHAIN OF COMMAND
----------------
Chaos Champion -> Chaos Magus -> Chaos Warrior -> any unit
---
	I'm kinda iffy on the points for the Champion and Magus.
Space Marines pay 10 points for Hero, but the Warrior stat line is
closer to Orks (actually, it's the stats for Ork Boyz + Assault) and
I'm not sure what Orks pay for Hero.  The Champ/Magnus should probably
pay some number of points between the 2 values.
	The squad sizes are straight out of the Chaos Codex.  Frex,
Chaos Warrior units come in groups of 5-20 warriors, which comes out
to 1-4 stands.  I'm assuming Minotaurs and Trolls to be 5 to a stand,
ala Ogryns.  Otherwise, I really can't justify their Assault Factor.
	As for models: chaos champions, beastmen, minotaurs and trolls
are all easy enough for old chaos players.  Not so sure about the
Warriors and Hounds, though, at least not until GW comes out with Epic
Fantasy Battles.  I guess you could sub in some Chaos Space Marines
for the warriors, at least.
Scott
shupes_at_...