Re: [Epic] Epic Scale Buildings

From: Woofer <ss52dlh_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:49:05 +1000

> 2) All that shellfire screens you from view. Often smoke is mixed in.
> This means that enemy direct-fire units beyond the curtain have a
> difficult time finding a target.

Trouble is - no "official" rules for smoke in Epic40K, as yet.

> 3) And most importantly, it supresses the hell out of the position
> you're about to assault. From an enemy viewpoint, they see the shellfire
> coming closer, then it's amongst them. TAKE COVER! and all that.
> Finally, the Maelstrom moves on, they poke their heads out of the
> trenches and recieve a bayonet right between the eyes, as your advance
> hits them before they've had time to recover their Blast Markers, so to
> speak.

Having been on the receiving end of 10 (!!!) Biovores recently and
watched my 650pt Marine Assault detachment sit twiddling their thumbs
for two turns, yes it can be damned effective.

> Without wishing to start a flame war, the US Army is rather sensitive to
> blue-on-blue casualties. They don't consider ANY amount to be
> "acceptable" ( a view I consider quite reasonable on the face of it), so
> don't train using tactics which will certainly cause them, so when the
> balloon goes up, it's too dangerous to try anything like this when
> you're troops aren't trained for it.

No realistic training = greater casualties in the real thing. Still,
the US is better placed to take 'em; more people.

> > Seems Australians have a deep affinity for the good ol' rolling barrage

Youbetterbelieveit !!! In the two-way range, I want to know that my
"friends" in the RAA are dropping those rounds forward of me onto the
guys I'm about to wade into.
As for the E40K battlefield, nothing beats the look of horror when
your opponent realises that they're bottlenecked and packed in like
sardines with your six Manticores in range.