Re: [Epic] A lot of questions

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:41:19 -0500

> 1) The Assault Spawn of the Tyranids have the Transport(2) ability, which
> allows them to transport

Any two units from the "infantry" section of the Tyranid army list.

> 2) Blast Marker trouble : I have a detachment with a Land Raider, a Rhino,
> a Whirlwind and 2 blast markers. The Rhino and Whirlwind are 10cm behind
> theLand Raider, and the Land Raider is the only unit that can fire at the
> enemy. When the Land Raider fires at the enemy, does it fire [a] nothing,
> as the 2 BM cancel out the 2 anti tank guns, [b] 1 AT-shot, because I split
> the fire of my detachment by using the Whirlwind to fire at my (friendly)
> Land Raider (or at itself !), creating a 1FP attack that is canceled out by
> 1 BM, and the second AT-shot is canceled by the second BM, or
>
> [snip even greater suggestions of cheese.

The answer is [a]. Note the order of hw you do things:

     1) Figure up how much firepower/SHW's you are firing at the enemy.
     2) Determine how many blast markers this places upon the enemy
     3) Reduce your number of dice rolled as determined by the blast
        markers on your own detachment.
     4) Determine the number of enemy casualties.

I this case the results are:

     1) How much are we firing? Two anti-tank shots. (The only things
        in range.)
     2) How many balst markers does this place? One; *if* we hit
        anything.
     3) How many blast markers are we under? Two, thus we must reduce
        our firing by two SHWs (and thus have no chance of placing
        any blast markers.)
     4) How many enemy casualties? None. (We didn't get to roll any dice.)

Simple, eh?

> 3) Blast Marker trouble, part 2 : A Titan Close combat weapon hase a FP of
> 4 and a Range of 30cm. [a] Does 1BM cancel out the Close Combat Weapon's
> fire (as it is a Super Heavy Weapon) or [b] do you need 4 BM to render the
> weapon ineffective ?

The answer is [b]. Each blast marker reduces your FP by 1, and a CCW
has a FP rating of 4. Similarly, you need 8 BM's to silence a Heavy
Weapons Battery with a FP rating of 8. The CC ability of the CC weapon
isn't firepower.

> 4) BM trouble, part 3 : Is the Energy Pulse weapon of the Dominatrix cancel
> with [a] 1BM (as it is a single SHW) or [b] 3BM, as each BM cancels out a
> single AT-shot.

It isn't a single SHW, it's three seperate weapons. The answer is [b].
I'm pretty sure this was covered in a FAQ with Jervis, but I'm not where
I can check right now.

> 5) BM trouble, part 4 : Does the Eldar Pulsar cancel D6 BMs, or just 1BM.

The Eldar Pulsar *is* a single SHW, and is listed with its own heading
in the list of SHW's. It merely fires with the effect of D6 AT shots.
1 BM will silence it.

I'll have to look at the data sheets again when I get home tonight, but
I'm pretty sure that if you look carefully you will see that the Dom
has three weapons and the Titan only one.

> 6) [snip summary of 3-5] But what if the (Titan's) SHW is damaged ? Can it the> n be used to cancel the BM penalty ? (I am firing my damaged Heavy Barrage
> weapon at that group of infantry, in order to created some FPs...)

Check again my list of the order in which you do things, above. Since
the weapon can't fire, it can't generate any FP. Since it doesn't
generate any FP, it can't be used to counter Blast Markers.

I'll leave the flavor questions.....

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.