Re: [Epic] Another barrage and transport question

From: Donald Nguyen <a2nguyen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:10:03 -0700

At 07:58 PM 10/15/97 PDT:
>>> You just have to look at the buildings in Bosnia. Sure, all the windows
>>> are broken, and there are big holes in them, but they're still there. A
>>> tank company would not have a chance if it tried to blow up a building,
>>> unless they had about a week or more to do it.
>>
>>A tanc company would have littel trouble (though it would take some
>>time). Buildings do not stand very long after the ground floor has been
>>removed...
>>
>>Indirect fire on the other hand has some serious trouble in destroying
>>buildings, as it simply lacks the preciseness of direct fire.
>>
>>Per Andersson
>>

>I have had a decent amount of firsthand experience with the effects of
>tank and arty fire on buildings, and i would have to say that from what
>i have seen it would take more time than the length of an epic game for
>either to level a building...And i am ussuming 1\2 hour turns for E40k.
>
> Makatiel.

Let me start this one out with a classic ignorance clause:
 I'm not a military expert
 I'm not an E40k expert

Now with that over, What do the tanks and "arty" use as shells? I'm
sure that if instead of using conventual explosives, people in the future
used, hmm maybe-- nuclear bombs-- they might be able to finish that building
quite a bit faster, or use the magical lasers that shoot in dense fog-like
atmospheres without diffracting, to melt the entire building to a pile of
smoldering ashes, or any other various "star trek" solutions.

A few interesting questions(not important, just some thoughts):
1) Where do all the shells and munitions come from? Do all the cannons
and such, start out with all that they need, or do they some how get
resupplied?

2) How does anyone travel place to place, and if they stop somewhere near
the planet their attacking, why doesn't anyone try to shoot them down in
space?

Oh, and to the original question on whether or not a barrage on a multiple
level building/ruin would effect multiple levels of units, I think that
the rule book just says: put as many units as possible under the template,
so all the units are counted, not just one level.

Let me finish with a little retraction:
 This is slightly off topic and I hope I didn't bother/offend/waste time
of anyone out there, but I was just wondering...

        -Donald Nguyen