[Epic] Imperial Guard figures / Captured vehicles.

From: Neil R. Thomason <n.thomason_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 18:48:51 +0100 (BST)

>Sauron1 writes;
> Neil, was there any description of the new Imperial Guard infantry, or the
>latest WD? The British post to this list are the envy of the rest of the
>world with your 2-3 week advance recipient of the latest Gw releases.

No description, but I've seen some of them! If I remember correctly, I saw
a heavy weapons team with, I think, a lascannon, and a Guardsman firing a
lasgun. They were the 'Russian' type - Valhalla, is it? - the ones with
rolled blankets across their bodies and peakless caps.

I'm not an Imperial Guard fan, so didn't study the figures; the previous
paragraph might be totally wrong, particularly since it's difficult to
examine 3 mm high figures from the back of a crowd at Games Day! I can tell
you, though, that Tim Adcock is working on new, or variant, Imperial
Super-Heavy tanks and flyers. He had only done the basic hulls by 28 Sept,
but I saw a Shadowsword and a Marauder fusalage (sp?).

*****************

On another matter, I'd allow Blood Axe Orks - and ONLY Blood Axes - to use
captured Imperial vehicles, adapted to fit their character. This would
essentially mean Battle wagon stats, using the Speed value of the original
vehicle. I imagine Orks would replace Imperial weapons with Ork
equivalents, so no lasers or AT lascannon. I wouldn't allow them to use
Eldar or Tyranid equipment, nor 'exotic' Imperial kit; I think someone
mentioned the Land Speeder. Super-heavy tanks would become Battle
Fortresses, but with the Imperial Speed value - so few Orks would WANT to
steal a Baneblade! Land Raiders aren't super-heavy, Battle Fortresses are,
so I wouldn't say a Land Raider could be turned into a Battle Fortress.

Captured artillery? I don't see why not; in fact these would be the
vehicles most likely to be captured in an assault, killing the Human crew
without damaging the vehicles themselves. I'm very uneasy about the effect
on game balance, so perhaps the rate of fire could be reduced, to represent
Ork use of unfamiliar equipment, or limited ammunition. Remember, only
Blood Axes get to use Imperial equipment in my scheme; perhaps this would be
a sufficient limiting factor. I don't like the idea of breakdown rules,
which would probably just slow down the game. Perhaps each captured
artillery piece could be ruled as taking up two spaces on a detachment form,
representing their scarcity and the extra resources devoted to maintaining
and 'Orkifying' Imperial vehicles, and to simply act as a deterret to
powergamers.

As for Harlequins capturing vehicles... I dunno. I'd just say they can't.
Perhaps in a small-scale 'commando' action (ie a WH40K battle), they might
'borrow' transport vehicles, but in a larger battle, no. The rules don't
even allow them Eldar vehicles as part of the Troupe detachment, so I don't
see why they should get Land Raiders.

>Have they even made a Chimera yet, or did they only take
>enough time off from making Rhino addons for the Vyper?

Huh?

Cheers,

NRT

Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim