Re: [Epic] Sealing in cold conditions

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 12:39:31 -0800

Bayani R Caes wrote:

> After sealing a pair of warlords in the slightly nippy November
> Pittsburgh air, I noticed a couple of spots where the miniature looked
> "frosted," like a car windshield in the winter. It also looks like the
> sealer took on a consistancy like pine sap and oozed down to collect in
> a small blob at the bases of weapons, bottoms of banner poles, etc.
>
> Is this normal behavior for sealer in cold conditions? Is there a way
> to reproduce this effect without say, sealing a miniature and stuffing
> it into the freezer? It looks like a bit of drybrushed silver, but I
> can't be sure.
>
> -BC

All sealers are not made alike, but my experiences with spray-on acrylic
matte have been that you get the drybrushed silver effect when spraying
a model whose paint has not completely dried. Moisture is trapped and
clouds the usually clear acrylic. Probably you could reproduce this
effect with a wet paint brush used right before you spray.. but try to
use a very little bit of water. As for the other.. well, I guess that's
the effect you get from putting alot of sealer on, or from spraying very
close to the model.
-Lemm