[Epic] White troops

From: Neil R. Thomason <n.thomason_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 01:18:54 GMT

>I've wanted to do this, but I can't paint a white figure with any...

Oh, right, Marines. Wasn't concentrating before. How about: white
undercoat (careful if you're spraying them; avoid adding texture, at all
costs). Wash of a mid to dark grey. Very gentle drybrush of white. Wait
until it's fully dry, then do it again (no, not the undercoat and wash; just
drybrush). Perhaps worth actually painting white into areas that need to be
white, but aren't picked up by the drybrushing - shouldn't need much.

Then paint the shoulder pads and bolter as normal.

The difficulty is in getting the shading dark enough to make the armour
plates stand out without making the general appearence too dark. This is
why I still think white over black would be a bad idea; even if you get the
highlights up to pure white, there'd be too much black in the recesses,
giving an overall dull grey appearence from a distance (Huh? Marines in
overalls?).

 For an army, to be viewed as a mass on the tabletop, I'd err on the side of
too little shading. For display miniatures, to be seen close up, I'd go for
the approach I mentioned earlier for Banshees; proper shading and
highlighting, without drybrushing.

 It's 01:15, by my PC clock. G'night, all. Will the last one out turn off
the lights, please?

NRT

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead