Re: [Epic] Stormblades

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:16:12 -0500 (EST)

Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...> writes:
> Mark A Shieh wrote:
> But made for a different purpose - the Stormhammer is,
> as I recall, strongly anti-infantry while the Stormblade is very
> anti-titan. The Hellion missile and the PBG pack a lot more
> punch than anything the Stormhammer carries.

        Yup. I can't remember too well, but I thought the Stormhammer
packed about twice as many shots, though only at -1 or -2 Save mod.
If you're firing that many shots, even at armor, you'll penetrate with
some frequency. Not that I'd *want* to, but I was under the
impression that it wouldn't be performing all that worse as
anti-armor.

> Which doesn't mean the Stormblade was useful - it wasn't.
> Easy to kill short-ranged titan killers are not going to last long
> enough to get into range of their targets... I never understood
> why they cost more than the other SH tanks. A warhound detachment
> with PBGs and TLDs is a much better buy.

        Nope. I remember reading the WD article a few months ago.
It's for dense urban close-quarters anti-armor. It's a pity the
typical Epic game involves some open areas, woods, and an effective 3
turn time limit. If it was fighting in those conditions though, it
would probably pay for itself unless mobbed in the rear by infantry,
but any tank dies under those circumstances.

> > This thing was in the same category as Moles and Warp
> > Hunters, though not quite as high on the bad unit scale as Hellbores.
> > [Oops, I lost my company. It scattered off the map. Here, have 6VP]
>
> 10 VPs for the Hellbore company. And even if you didn't
> scatter off the map, the infantry couldn't disembark until the
> next turn (you might as well paint a big red target on the 'Bore
> model). Hands-down, the worst buy in the game.

        Yup. But the enemy has to at least shoot at it (As tough as a
Stormblade to kill, right?) in order to take out the entire company.
If it scatters off the map of its own volition, you really have to
feel sorry for the Hellbore's owner.

Mark