[Epic] A Quick vs. Myself Game Battle Report

From: Cyril Crocker <dslayer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 03:40:23 -0500

OK, earlier on today, yesterday actually, I had a small game against myself (Yes I am that hard up for opponents at the moment). This was more for me to get more acquainted with the 40k system as I've mainly only played SM/TL before.

The table was 150cmx100cm in dimensions. For terrain, there was a ruined town in the center, nothing else.

The forces were:
Ork:
Gargant
1 Battlefortress
Warband of:
Stompa Warboss
Wierdboy
3 Nobz
11 Boyz
2 Grotz
4 Dreads
6 B.Wagons

Eldar
Phantom Titan
3 Nightwings
Warhost of
5 S.Hawks w/Exarchs
Warhost of
2 Dark Reapers
4 Support Platforms.

I used the escalating engagement scenario.

On turn 1, the Orks started with the Warband and the Eldar started with the Hawks detachement. As the table was too short for the scenario setup, I used a 20cm deployment zone. Both detachments moved up to each other. As they were both out of range, the Orks called on an orbital barrage, killing off the lead Hawks unit. End morale remained at 16/16.

On turn 2, the Gargant and Battlefortress both showed up for the Orks and the Phantom and Nightwings arrived for the Eldar. Again, everyone moved closer. The Nightwings swept in for a ground attack and did nothing. The Orks retaliated by annihilating the Hawks detachment. The Phantoms pulsar was in range of the Waaagh but as with the Nightwings, did nothing. A few of the Ork units were within FF range and actually beat the Titan, however it made its holo-save. End morale ended at 16/9 for the Orks. At this point I knew the Eldar army was seriously flawed.

On turn 3, the final Eldar detachment showed their faces. The Orks moved their forces towards the Phantom as it remained in place waiting for the oncoming green swarm. The Ork waaagh mustered a massive 26 FP against the Titan, however there were 6 hits all of which were saved. I was starting to believe this machine to be invincible. The Dark Reapers managed to squeeze off a couple of shots against the Waagh, but shot blanks. Then in a flurry of motion, the Phantom raced up to the lead units of the waaagh and slaughtered 4 of the lead B.Wagons. The remaining units in FF range decided to get away from the WE as to not get toasted as well. End of turn Morale was 16/7 due to 2 remaining BMs on the Titan.

Turn 4 was quite dissapointing for the losing Eldar Army. The Nightwings swept in and this time actually managed to kill a Grotz unit. The Dark Reapers managed to kill the remaining B.Wagons and the Support platforms failed to lock on to anything. The orks managed to come back at the Titan with another massive 20 FP. This time, 1 hit failed the HoloSave. As I rolled my CH dice I watched both of the 6's turn up with horror. The Titan was wrecked, the Morale was at 16/-6. The Orks managed to beat the Eldar and none of their WE's fired a single shot.

Anyhow, I learned a couple of things from this battle.
1) Flyers are useless in small battles like this.
2) Larger detachments are better in Escalating Engagement. For those of you who may disagree, my Hawks serve as a perfect example. They didn't stand a chance against the massive Waagh. I actually should have waited for some reinforcements, but it's history now.
3) Eldar titans kick serious ass (if I can manage to roll some half-decent numbers with them).

Anyhow, if anyone has any comments, they're much appreciated.
Cyril Crocker
Dragon Slayer
dslayer_at_...