Re: [Epic] Shields

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:57:14 -0500

> I still opt for the abiliity to hull down against a titan with shields to
> gain benefit from the shielding.

There's an idea. Tanks (but not walkers) may go hull down, kinda like overwatch but
instead gain a +1 to their armour. Unfortunately, the rules I am borrowing this from
have it that infantry are always hull down in that it is harder (-2 mod on rolls) to
hit them with tank weapons. That'd make infantry way harder. Of course, I think the
infantry's armour is already pretty high compared to the tanks, not too high, just
enough to reflect.

Anyway, to recap hull down rules.

Hull Down V.1

Like overwatch or assault the player declares Hull down for his detachment at the
beginning of the movement phase.

During that detachment's movement phase they may only move 5 cm

During the shooting phase that detachment is at a +1 armour value.

Hull down costs no points because all armies can do it. WE's cannot

(I know that dreadnaughts can't really crouch, but they can stand behind tanks that
have hidden behind a low dune.)

Hull down v.2

Any unit within base contact of a WE with shield cannot be hit by outside fire without
the attack being deflected by the shield. This means if you surround your WE with
tanks, they can also help in CC, or defending the flank of the WE.

This makes me think of how many models you can fit between the legs of some of the
'Nid big guys, and I think whether or not models are allowed on the base should be
decided by the players

This makes me think of another new rule possibilty. (this from the guy who just said
"I don't usually change the rules that much")

Organized Retreat

During the movement phase the player must declare this movement like any others.

This basically counts as a reverse Assault move. 1/2 firepower, and you must move away
from the enemy in the Assault phase.

This can allow you to bait an on-coming army into a trap. However it can be very nasty
for an Assault based army, as your enemy moves away just out of reach while still
pounding you. SO, whenever you declare an Organized Retreat, you must also make a
leadership test at BM's +1 (So you can fail if you have no BMs) If the detachment
fails that leadership test, they have broken and must flee. They make a normal retreat
move instead of a Organized Retreat. To rally normal leadership rolls apply.

Tyler
I like these things