[Epic] Use for Flying Brick

From: Alun Gallie <gallie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:42:22 +0930

Greetings all,
During Chris and my 3000pt game last weekend we were discussing that most
gracful of machines the "Flying Brick" and I happened to comment that it
looked more Squatish than anything else. Chris agreed and this got us
thinking. So we decided to bang together some stats for a Squat flyer using
the old "Flying Brick" models. Wait, I hear some of you cry, you cann't
create a new vehicle type. To which my reply is Why not ? If I believed
everything l was told then I wound'nt even have a Squat army. As long as the
vehicle is balanced, correctly pointed, has a suitable figure available to
represent it and does'nt introduce any special rules or conventions why not.
People at GW are doing it all the time, just because I don't work for them
does it mean I'm any less capable. Here is an excerpt of a email I sent
Chris this morning.
The Flying Brick
Had another look at fig last night with rest of army and it REALLY looks as
if it belongs, right down to latticeing and castle parapets.
Suggested fluff, early transport varient of the modern Thunderhawk gunship
supplied to the Squat Homeworlds in exchange for mining rights in much the
same way as rhinos where. Not present in large numbers hence the one
detachment per army part ( Will expand on this fluff in due course)
Suggeted Names - given that it is a early model THawk and the squat
airguilds main flyer(skimmer) is an Iorn Eagle I played around with
variations on these names.
Steel Eagle
Storm Hawk
Steel Hawk
 I like Storm Hawk.Any other suggestions.
Stats.
Primarily identified the type of flyer as " a big flying rhino". Must be
significantly weaker than a T'Hawk but felt it needed a small amount of self
defence capability. Due to vulnerability kept armour at 6. This also ties in
with other Squat stuff. 6 armour is not uncommon. Primary roll as a
transport, but reduce transport cap. to 4 to take in size difference to new
T'Hawk. Designed for transport and evac missions. Do not expect it to be
overly successful due to limited numbers and lack of any Squat fighters to
support it, but should add a bit of mobility and flavour to a forgotten
army.
Storm Hawk M R FP A Ar Special
                       flyer 15 2 1/2 6+ Transport(4)
cost 50pts.
Flyer Detachment
One flyer detachment per army.
Command + 25
1 - 5 Storm Hawks - 50pts
What do you think ?
Have sent the second part to list from comments.
(this points score was roughly worked out using Kevin's formula 3 for flyers
and then rounded off. Can be further tweaked in play testing. )
Comments or Critisism (be gentle) welcome.
Cheers
Alun