Re: [Epic] Net Epic (morale issues)

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:05:58 +0000

Greetings!

Regarding Seths comments

> I just had a few ideas concerning our current topic of morale that I
> wanted to share with the group. So far I agree with what I have seen
> regarding fall back orders (i. e. cannot hold objectives and must move
> away from objectives in addition to the normal penalties). However, I
> don't think that I like the immediate movement idea. That could become
> far too complicated and disturb the orderliness of the phases. Rather
> than have immediate movement, I propose that we add a fall back phase
> to our movement system before charge moves. Use the same breakdown as
> the other phases except that command units may not move during that
> phase. This way, movement remains all in one phase, but troops falling
> back are still at a serious disadvantage. After all, fleeing troops
> are a tad predictable as to where they are going. :) I really don't
> see the need for immediate movement. Troops on fall back orders can't
> hold objectives, so whether they move during the combat phase of this
> turn or at the very beginning of the movement phase of next turn
> shouldn't affect anything, and I don't think that there are there are
> any other reasons for immediate movement that wouldn't be solved just
> as easily with this system (IMHO).
>
> Also, while I'm on the topic, I want to cast my vote in favor of
> morale checks for charging Titan-sized vehicles. An occurrence in a
> recent game illustrates my concern. I was teaching my brother how to
> play Epic, and, since I have only TL and Marines, we were forced to
> play these armies against each other. I know, I know, it's not really
> fair to the poor TL. Anyway, he was fielding a Warlord Battle Group
> (among other things). In the second turn, one Titan was charged by a
> detachment of Bikes and another Titan was charged by a detachment of
> Land Speeders. Both Titans took critical damage to their plasma
> reactors and exploded. Okay, so I lost a bike squad and a speeder
> squad. Big deal! That's 4 VP vs. 16 VP. That's just wrong! For a
> Titan to be pulled down by such piddling units is inconceivable.
> IMHO, close assaulting any Titan (not just an Imperator) with anything
> less than another Titan should be a final act of desperation, not a
> consistent game-winning technique. Requiring morale checks is a step
> in the right direction. (Another suggestion, which is a bit off
> topic, would be to tone down the multiple attacker bonus in close
> combat vs. a Titan or something similar.)
>
> I also had an idea regarding command units, which also relates to the
> placement of detachment cards. It has been pointed out that in some
> armies, command units act more as ultra-powerful units, rather than as
> headquarter units. My suggestion to rectify this is simple. All
> detachments in a company (and any attached detachments, not including
> special cards) are forced to make a morale check when the company's
> command unit is eliminated completely. This is similar to the rules
> [...]

Compulsory movement of units with fall back orders will take place
before units in charge orders in the movement phase.

The ideas regarding HQ units will be dealt with in its corresponding
topic(vey soon).

There are many issues regarding titans that will de covered in thier own
topic and issues like Seths regarding morale checks when charging titan
classed vehicles.

Nice ideas Seth thanks.

United we stand!
Peter