[Epic] Gargoyles Mk. II

From: Chris Salvato <csalvato_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 14:39:25 -0600

Since Gargoles as flyers is just about as palateable to me as graceful
orks, I've decided upon changing Gargoyles to more favorably match the 40k
version. Hopefully, this can meld with the current official rules quite
seamlessly:

Gargoyles may be purchased two ways:

* As normal, in a Tyranid Flyer detachment, for 16 points. We'll call
these units "Sky Gargoyles"

* In any Tyranid infantry detachment except Mycetic Spore detachments for 8
points. We'll call these gargoyle units "Ground Gargoyles."

Gargoyles have the following stats:
                M RNG. FP ASLT ARM SPECIAL COST
Sky Gargoyle Fly 15 1 1/1 3+ 16
Ground Gargoyle 20 15 1 1 3+ Skimmer 8

The fluff behind the madness:

Gargoyles, when "born" into the swarm, are immediately placed within the
synapse range of either a Hive Tyrant, Brood of Tyranid Warrriors, or
Harridan. Depending upon which type of unit the Gargoyle Larva matures
under, the gargoyle adapts the the environment it will eventually live and
thrive in.

Gargoyle larva under the influence of a giant Harridan adapts a robust
breathing system, aclimated to high altitudes and thin atmospheres; they
also loose some sense of vision and their flamespurts become somewhat less
powerful, relying upon the Harridan to direct them with psychic signals.
Sometimes this direction can be to send the creatures flying into the air
intakes or reactor vents of enemy aircraft, often resulting in quite
catastrophic results for both the target and the gargoyle. This tends to
be the standard method of attack for the tyranid gargoyles, although their
Flamespurts, though less effective at high altitudes than on the ground,
can cause havoc in enemy flyers.

Gargoyles under the influance of a Hive Tyrant or Tyranid Warrior brood
however adapt more for low-level flying and develop a keener eyesight to
allow them to act more independently (for lack of a better word) of outside
influence, since the Hive Mind Synapse creatures such as Tyranid Warriors
and Hive Tyrands tend to be a little busier. Thier horrific flamespurt
becomes much more dangerous on the ground as well, since heavier atmosphere
and softer targets abound.

Explanation:
I originally wanted gargoyles to have FP2 with close support, but they
began to approach the stats of the Hellhound flame tank, a comparison which
sits even worse with me that the Tyranids-as-flyers problem. Therefore,
settling upon the exact same stats as the "flyer" gargoyles, just adding
the Skimmer ability and a 20CM move (consistent with the Hormogaunts' 20cm
move), and converting the dogfight value to an Assault of 1 seemed to be
the best conversion. Since they are actually pretty wimpy now, I figured
halving their points cost would be about right. Perhaps somebody out there
could run these numbers through that equaton to see what cost comes out for
the above stats?

Anyway, I feel that this is a very fluff-friendly way to include gargoyles
as the ground unit they really should be without depriving Tyranids of
their flyers, no matter how useful they may be. Heck, I even managed to
justify how a Gargoyle could take down a thunderhawk!

Anyway, as always, Questions? Comments?

Chris Salvato
shidara_at_...