Re: [Epic] Flyers are Vehicles too ... Revisited and Revised

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:45:59 -0600

Andrew Nguyen wrote:

> Hopefully, this will be the last of my "wonderful" Flyer rules.

<snip-o-matic>

> Intercepting:
> Flyers can only attack other Flyers by "assaulting" them. A dogfight
> occurs when two enemy detachments get within 15 cm of each other
> during the assault phase, the total assault of each detachment is
> calculated and Close Combat occurs as usual but Flyers cannot be
> broken.

Nice Idea.

> Notes:
> - Yes, Flyers can snap-fire each other and it does cause the Flyer to
> stop it's movement, snap-fire range is 15 cm.

I have a problems with the "causes the Flyer to stop" part here. Dosen't
make a lot a sense, from a "Newton's 3 laws" point of view.

> - Flyers are always "off-ground" and therefore can't be assaulted by
> ground troops.

Love this

> - Non-flyers can't shoot at flyers except Flak.

Minor problems with this. I would allow "Heavy Weapons" troops to fire at
1/2 fire power.

> - Flyers cannot shoot at each other.

I really have a problem with this, as in the "Real World" the range for
tactical fighters Air to Air stuff is, as a general rule, greater than their
air to mud range. Given that the Air to mud range for some flyers is 30 cm,
they really should be able to engage at that range, using firepower, not
Assualt, (i.e. normal fire, then the "Dog Fight". This could be the "Fox 1"
missile fire before the "Mike Mike" knife fight. (for you air combat types
out there)