Re: [Epic] Newbie in need of help

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:08:49 -0700

Sutherland wrote:

> At 06:57 AM 12/21/97 -0600, you wrote:
> > target's armor value the thing is either hit,destroyed ,gets a
> >blast marker or is removed from the table - which is it? and how does the
> >rally phase affect all of these outcomes? Please help Thanks,
>
> Here it goes,
>
> First - unit A attacks unit B. Total the FP(fire power) for unit A and
> apply BM(blast markers),as per the chart, to unit B.
> Second - Halve the FP of unit A if it was on charge orders and then deduct
> the number of BM from the FP number. Then look at the chart to see how
> many dice you roll. Any of the dice that equal or exceed the AV(armor
> value) of any of the targets is a hit. Apply one dice to each target until
> all dice that beat the AV are gone. Remove these as casualties. At the
> end of the turn you remove 1d6-1 BM.
>
> example- 4 Leman Russ with 2 BM, fire at a detachment of orks and
> battlewagons. All are within range. The 4 Russ have a total FP of
> 12(4*3), they are not on assault orders so this is not halved. The orks
> will take one BM(8-16=1 BM). The russ will roll 6 dice(vehicle or infantry
> in open column) needing 4s(to hit orks) and 5s(to hit battlewagons). Say
> he rolls 2,3,3,4,5,6.
> The 5 and 6 can be applied to any target while the 4 can only be applied to
> an ork. The rules state that you have to apply hits to the closest
> allowable target first. So we kill 2 orks and 1 battlewagon. At the end of
> the turn the orks get to remove 1d6-1 BMS.
>
> hope this helped a little
>
> any more questions just write.
>
> That Chuk Guy
> only guy here on Sunday :(
Actually, this was not quite right.

4 Leman Russes with 2 BM's fire at orks and battle wagons. all are in
range, so FP = 12. Now figure BM's: 12 FP places 1 Blast marker. Now
figure the number of dice to roll. The firepower of the LR Detat is
reduced by 2, because it has 2 blast markers: 12-2 = 10 FP for
determining the number of dice to roll. Cross referencing the attack
chart, 10 FP vs vehicle/ infantry in the open = 5 dice.

5 Dice are rolled = 23466. Orks boyz are hit on a 4+, vehicles on a 5+.
3 hits are achieved on the detat. The models closest to the LR are
removed. This is also a bit tricky; the 4 can hit a boyz mob, but not a
vehicle. The 4 thus kills the closest boyz mob. The 6's hit a boyz mob
or a battlewagon, so the closest units are killed by the 6's, whether
those models are a battlewagon or boyz mob. You cannot use a six to kill
a more higly armored target if there is a less armored target from the
same detachment closer. Thus infantry can be used to screen vehicles
from incoming fire.

When Blast markers are removed at the end of a turn, this only
represents the unit recovering its nerve, not the dead arising to rejoin
the battle.

Thane