RE: [Epic] <rant> about Final Liberation and 586 chips

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:49:40 -0600

------> Hey, that's my life...

><rant>
>

>This mailing list if for EPIC, you know, the GW game with 6 mm mini's.
>All three versions of it, (Space Marine, Epic Space Marine, Epic
>40,000). It's NOT about DirectX and the various version of 586 class
>chips. This kiss of death of a non computer war game is to start
>talking about a computer game, much less computer systems, OS, chips
>sets and other bits of cyber what-nots. I do that sort of thing for a
>living, so it's not a case of not being able to keep up (and BTW some
>of you need to check your facts before you run off at the keyboard, the
>error rate in the current "talk" on the FL thread about the various 586
>chips is pushing over 75%) There are dozen of mailing list and usenet
>'froups that support computer games. Can we PLEASE leave them there?

-----------> I'm gonna partly agree and partly disagree here. Many of us
were contacted through this list to beta test this game. Given that,
someone looking for help/advice/whatever about that game is doing just
fine if they come here to ask. I don't think that's off-topic. There are
3 versions of Epic, and you might call this another "version". As long
as people are putting "FL" in the title, there shouldn't be too much
mystery as to what the post is about.
            That said, the digressions into which chip is faster, which
OS is better, etc are pointless and do belong somewhere else. Look for
some of the newsgroups.

>Final Liberation may or may not be the coolest game ever written,
>however it is still a computer game. It's not a version of Epic. Hell,
>based on the information posted about it, it supports even less of the
>GW "Universe" than Epic 40K does. Given the ranting and raving that
>E40K got for daring to cut down on the number of say, Ork tank types and
>for not letting Chaos use all the imperial stuff (in addition to their
>own stuff) and for dropping 2 armies in toto, you would think that NO
>ONE on this list would even THINK of playing such a limited game as FL,
>as all it lets you do is Imperials and Orks.

----------> Ah, but it lets you play ALONE with FULLY PAINTED UNITS ,
and it includes most of those lamented Ork tanks.
Honestly, I'm not as impressed with it as I'd hoped I would be, but I
still think it's relevant enough to handle on this list.

Heh, right, and deny everyone the opportunity to participate, quote, and
snip our powerful prose? I think not. This should stir things up nice...

Chris Miller