[Epic] Re: Epic 40K - New IG

From: Michael P. Lepisto <thagor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 00:23:40 -0800

At 03:34 PM 12/30/97 +1100, you wrote:

>Michael P. Lepisto wrote:
>

>> >a) That'll be about half your army considering point cost
>>
>> >b) If they get assaulted they'll all die
>>
>> Not likely unless it is assualted by a detachment of 30+ models all with
high
>> assualt factors in contact.
>>

>Gotta remember, Russ's only have an assault of 1, and a support of 1. That
means
>that altogether an assault value of 30. 5 genestealer units will match
that, as
>will 15 units of orks (not uncommon in an ork army). The point is that in an
>assault this detachment will get whipped by another detachment half it's
points
>value.

This is true but then only 5 Leman Russes would die, although the broken
detachment would be a greater concern.

>> >c) Any firepower over 24 is wasted in a single detachment.
>>
>> How so?
>
> The table only goes up to 24 firepower as far as blast markers are
concerned,
>and only up to 20 as far as attack dice are concerned. Strictly speaking I
>wouldn't go over 20 firepower, as the extra four won't cause more hits,
but it
>will give an extra blast marker. It's a kind of weird rule, but a
detachment with
>100 firepower can still only do 24 firepower worth on damage, it's only in
>firefights the extra firepower helps.
>
>-Aran Dunlop

It seems to me that the 100FP unit would have 5 20FP attacks at its
target(s) and end up with not more than 3 Blast Markers on each targeted
detachment, regardless of the total firepower directed at it. So if you
decided to fire 60FP at one infantry detachment in the open, that
detachment would receive 3 Blast Markers (for 24+ FP). One would then roll
30 dice for hits (three 20FP attacks), (pg. 19)

-Mike