Re: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 23:59:53 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Sauron Moridor wrote:

> If on the average an artillery piece fires one barage per every other
> round in a six turn battle, how many "shells" would that be? The
> bombards or Griffin units should have a rhino each, gun, or battery to
> represent a supply tractor.

I don't really like the idea of "real life logistics" in epic, but this
does make sense. I like to think that this is represented on an abstract
form,like there are ammo carriers(crewed by servitors) running around
the battlefield,but as they have no real "combat value" of their own,
and don't rate representation of a mini on the field.

You could say that every other turn the big guns are supplied with ammo
for the next turns shooting by the carriers, or reloads are teleported
to the guns. Again- abstracted, so you know in your mind that its going
on,but no additional game mechanics are needed( or wanted).

IIRC, in WD 118 when the Vindicator was introduced, it only had something
like 6 rounds for its cannon. Bombards would be worse off.

Logistics seem to be ignored by GW, which is good. I shudder to think
of the rules they would come up with.

> I know ACW or WWII rules often incorprate such. Any suggestions?

the most common are that if a friendly unit can trace a line back to the
players table edge, without enemy units in the way, are in supply.

problem: you need to make rules for Zones Of Control and being
Out Of Supply. yuck. I don't like it on boardgames, really don't want it
in epic.

Another way, is to have a "breakdown" roll, like if you roll a "1"
when rolling for hits,you roll another die, if a "1" comes up again, you
are out of ammo, gun malfunction, etc

next turn, roll a die. if its a "4-6" ammo shows up,gun repaired, etc.
ready to shoot next turn.
some things, like Pulsa Rokkits, could have a worse
chance to be supplied with reloads, say only reloaded on a roll of a "6"

are you thinking of scenarios to protect ammo dumps, or a campaign?
Hmm. then these rules would be needed.

you could have stuff like:
Close to Ammo Dump= Plentiful Reloads= reroll to hit
Low on Ammo= Use D4 instead of D6 for to hit rolls for shooting.
Low on Gas= movement is 1/2 normal, roll for breakdowns

> sauron1

**
Heads will roll for this!
Well not actually roll since the oval shape and the nose gives it a wobbly
sort of motion, but you get the idea.

mike
**