[Epic] WAY off topic... was IG

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 08:41:37 -0600

Michael P. Lepisto wrote:
> >Point the 3rd:
> >The US Military has 4 services, The Army (my old service), the USAF (aka
> >the Zoomies) the USMC and the US Navy. Of those 4, 3 of them have
> >Colonel (Army, Air Force, Marines). The Coast Guard is a paramilitary
> >force belonging the the Treasure department. In time of war it is
> >assigned, in toto to the US Navy. It follows the Navy's ranks
> >

> Actually the Coast Guard operates under the Dept. of Transportation, in war
> time it comes under control of the Dept. of Defense, not the Dept. of the
> Navy. It is a military force, not paramilitary. The Marine Corps on the
> other hand is part of the Dept. of the Navy.

??? When did the CG change to Transportation? They were the anti
smuggling arm of the the Treasure for ever and ever. I am not saying
that they are not part of Dept. of Trans. but they USED to be in
Treasury.

And the drop to DoD vs "The Navy" is in fact correct, however they are
then assigned to the various fleets. The last time this was done there
was NO DoD, just the Dept. of War (aka the Army) and the Dept. of the
Navy (aka the Navy and the Marines). As far as why I said
"Para-Military vs Military" there is a legal difference here in
America. Military forces can not be used as arresting officers with in
the US Territorial waters on on the US Land (there are some exceptions,
dealing mainly with on Military bases and forts). The Coast Guard is,
by act of Congress, not a Military force. Which, BTW, aside from the
legal aspects crock. They are in fact well armed and trained.
--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus