Re: [Epic] Regimental structure.

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:03:24 +1000

Chris Pinson wrote:

> now then, I don't want to start another argument about who outranks who but
> I would like to know the correct order of the following (Private e-mail
> will suffice)
>
> Platoon
> Company
> Regiment
> Battalion
>
> Obviously, platoon is the lowest but I have no idea what comes next.

Order is:
Name Standard Symbol Typical (Triangular) Size
Section . 3 riflemen and a grenadier
Squad .. 3 Sections + Heavy Weapon
Platoon ... 3 Squads + Heavy Wpns Squad
Company I 3 Platoons + HW Platoon
Batallion II 3 Companies + HW Company
Regiment III 3 Batallions + Art Batallion
Brigade X 2 Regts
Division XX 3 Brigades
Corps XXX 3 Divisions
Army XXXX 3 Corps
Army Group XXXXX 3 Armies

It's complicated just a little by the following:

Regiments: Originally a Regiment had a Colonel who raised it. That is,
recruited, paid and equipped the troops for the King's service.

The term REGIMENT now is usally used in one of 3 ways:
1. In the British and other long-tradition armies that have shrunk over
the years, "Regiment" = "Batallion". That is, the "Kings Own
Lousewortshire Regiment" of 2 Batallions in 1812 and 7 batallions in
1915 gets amalgamated with the "Regiment of Sherwood Forest Hoods" with
4 battallions in 1940, to become the "King's Own Forest Hoods", of
barely Batallion size in 1998.
2. In the Army-formerly-known-as-Soviet, "Regiment"="Brigade". There is
no brigade organisation as such, only batallions in a Regiment.
3. In the US Army, the Regiment is an administrative unit only, in
charge of the pay, care-and-feeding, recruitment etc for a number of
batallions who may be spread over several divisions, but who once
(usually during the Civil War I believe) were brigaded together, and
raised together. EXCEPT for Armoured Cavalry, where a Regiment is a
Brigade.

Thus a British Brigade = Russian Regt = USArmy (non-Cav) Brigade = US
Armd Cav Regt.

In UK army armoured regts, a regt = batallion, squadron = company, and a
troop = platoon.
In USA army armoured regts, a regt = brigade, squadron = batallion,
troop = company

In E40K terms....

Section = Stand (of 5 figurines). example: IG stand with 5 IG on.
Squad = Squad (of 1-4 stands) example: IG Squad with 2 IG stands
Platoon = Small Detachment example: IG Det with Cmd, 3 Squads
Company = large Det example: IG Det with 2 Platoons, plus
support
Batallion = small Army example: 3 IG dets plus an artillery
det
Brigade = large army etc

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo