Re: [Epic] Cheddar & Edam

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:03:31 -0700

Carl Billen wrote:

> Wouldn't the following detachments be too cheesy ?
>
> Tyranids :
> 18 Tyranid Warrior units + 20 Biovores ?

This would be very scary, but at least the expense of buying all of the
box sets to get the tyrannid warriors would make it unlikely. Especially
if you wanted to field any other units.

> Chaos (The Classical Bloodthirster Detachment) :
> 25 Bloodthirsters

Also very expensive to make, and vulnerable to firefights and blast
markers. On the other had, it could be fun.

> Orks :
> 1 Warboss in Stompa + 1 Weirdboy + 40 Nobz + (20 Pulsa Rokkits or 10
> Stompas)

This would be really slow; it would dominate an area of the battlefield,
but probably wouldn't be to hard to avoid. Barrages would likely have a
field day.

> Space Marines (Armour Det) :
> 1 Captain in LR + 1 Psyker in LR + 30 LR + 10 Terminators in a LR each

This would be ugly. Like most of the others, though, 6 blast markers
stop this unit in its tracks. Unless you're fighting over Iowa, you
could then manuever to pick off chunks of the detat each turn,
minimizing the number of return shots.

Most of these are 1000 points or so. They should be ugly. I think
that all of them would be better broken into 3 or four separate
detats, though; that way, they'd take 18 or 24 blast markers to shut
down. Only the tyranid one would be really hard to beat; it's got good
assault values for the whole unit, lays a ton of blast markers every
turn, doesn't take morale tests for blast markers, has decent
movement, and has a good FP and range to boot.

Here's what would scare me for 1000 points: two units of 10 gaurdians,
10 night spinners. I don't have any eldar opponents currently, but I
sometimes have trouble sleeping over it anyway.

Thane