Re: [Epic] Hello all!

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:29:39 -0700

Bloodax218_at_... wrote:

> I think it would be very interesting to field an SS force in epic, although
> you run the risk of offending people, heheheh, might have to keep an eye out
> for people trying to crush the poor little buggers, you know the swastika is a
> very controversial symbol.
>
> Anybody know of a good web page with the names and insignia of real WWII SS
> regiments?
>
> Erik von Totenreich

There is a book on early WWI and II tank development; "Tanks of WWII",
by Duncan Crow, Exeter Books, 1979. ISBN - 0-89673-027-1. This has the
markings of all panzer divisions, plus the SS panzer Divisions (probably
most appropriate to Imp Gaurd).

If you can't find it, here is a synopsis:
1rst - Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler - Skeleton key in a shield, angled up
to the right
2nd - Das Reich - In shield - 3 parallel vertical lines, each slightly
lower, with a diagonal running from the bottom of the first to the top
of the third.
3rd - Totenkopf - Inside shield, Skull with two bones behind it.
5th - Wiking - Stylized swastika, inside shield. Basically, the outer
arms form a circle instead of a square
9th - Hohenstanfen - Inside shield, H with a sword pointed up in the
middle.
9th (after Arnhem, '44) - Windmill in square
10th - Frundsberg - Stylized F with a leaf behind it (inside a shield)
12th - Hitler Jugend - Inside Shield, one "SS" stylized "S" in fron of a
skeleton key.

The shield shape is basically your standard jousting shield; pointed on
the bottom, notch cut in the top left corner (if you were holding it) as
if to accomodate a left handers lance.

Hope this helps; some of the insignia from the regular panzer divisions
insignia are pretty cool too.

Be careful about where you play nazi troops; some Jews (and other
groups) are still sensitive to the look, and sometimes bigots will latch
onto you. I know a guy who painted his 40K SM's that way and pissed off
a lot of people; he was already a bigot so he didn't care.

Thane
Thane