Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: <oki_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:44:49 +0800

At 11:14 AM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Peter Ramos wrote:
>
>> Following are more close combat issues that need to be addressed:
>>
>> 1-How many individual models can physically engage a given target.(How
>> many stands can REASONABLY engage another stand.
>>
>> 2-When a numerically superior foe engages in close combat a enemy lesser
>> in number, how should we resolve combat? The present way of resolving it
>> has probably caused many arguments.
>
>I propose the following Size Classes.
>
>2 - Bikes
>3 - Small Vehicles
>4 - Infantry Stands
>5 - Vehicles
>6 - Large vehicles
>7 - Very large vehicles
>8 - Small Titans
>9 - Medium Titans
>10 - Large Titans
>12 - Humungous Titans
>
>Size Class = Number of CC opponents. This means that a Warlord Titan can
>have at most 10 opponents, a Reaver 9, a Warhound 8, a Knight maybe 6,
>etc.

In this case can two Medium Titans gang up on one Large Titan ? The chart
while being a good idea is a little too detailed. And how many infantry
stands can gang up on vehicles ? Why not just stick to the current system -
as many as you can fit around the base. So if you have

        X X

        X X

X - units A (all of the same unit type, say infantry)

you can theoretically squeeze 15 units (not possible in most cases)
        000
       0X0X0
        000
       0X0X0
        000
0 - units B (all of the same unit type, say infantry)

and it it is lumped together
        XX
        XX
you can only have 8 stands/units
        00
       0XX0
       0XX0
        00

And to make it fairer, even though the current rule allow the player with
the most stand to choose the fighting composition, the stands/units ought to
be divided as evenly as possible.

So we might not have
        X1 vs 01
        X2 vs 02
        X3 vs 03,04,05
        X4 vs 06,07,O8
but rather
        X1 vs 01,02
        X2 vs 03,04
        X3 vs 05,06
        X4 vs 07,08
if there is 09 then the O player has the prerogative to place it against any
of the X unit/stand.

However the above only applies to units of the same categories. In the case
of units of different classes, say
        XX
        XXY where Y is say Titan, which is of a "heavier" class than
infantry
against
        000
        000
        00
which the O player then has the option of
        X1 vs 01
        X2 vs 02
        X3 vs 03
        X4 vs 04
        Y vs 05,06,07,08 if he so wishes.

Also, the rumoured Epic40k of maximum only 2 stands ganging up on one stand
is too limiting. "OK! you IG over there. I want ten of you guys (2 stands)
to gang up of the Trolls/ Genestealers/ Carnifex/ Bowelburnas/ Hive Tyrant
over there. No! you are not allowed to bring your buddies with you. Why ?
Errrmmm.....The Codex Astartes forbids it. And it is written by the
Primarchs/ Emperor.

>> Other issues:
>>
>> 1-Any questions or opinions on the actual way firing is handled should
>> be voiced.
>
>Seems OK now. Saves should be changed though. Using a 2D6 save would be
>a pain. But what about negative saves? ie maybe a SHV should have a save
>of -3 or so.

Yup sounds good, especially when the fluff says metres thick armour. Before
anyone flamed the idea, I believe there are some units that have negative CAF.

Regards
Oki