Re: Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] Knights(Lil' bit off topic)

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 15:03:41 -0800

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> On the GZG list it seems to be more about HOW troops in the field are
> armed and armored, not WHY the troops are there. Of course, I do tend
>
> to nuke on site SGII messages, as I don't play it (just DSII and
> FT/MT),
> so I may be a little off base here.
>
> As a general rule, in game mailing list in general, talking about the
> HOW of armies/troops/etc. while not generate to much problems, in fact
>
> that is what the mailing list may be about. The WHY, on the other
> hand,
> tends to get ugly.

Well, I kind of have to disagree with you a bit here. on both mailing
lists there is a fair amount of discussions, posting and even fiction on
the why of fighting, or more accurately the Sci Fi background to the
rules, (which does effect the HOW at times). While you may not
personnaly enjoy or want to read about such matters, the fact that they
pop up regularly, and the general participation in them tend to point to
the fact that most people do.

re: twentieth century politics, I completely understand. However I think
a lot of people on here have never spent a day in the field under a
rucksack, and often basic questions or ideas are asked or passed around
about military stuff. Having been one of those that does have a great
deal of experience in such matters I tend to interject some reality
confirming or denying things occasionally. I happen to be one that
believes that the general characteristics or wars and the experience of
Soldiering has not changed very much in 3-4000 years, nor will it change
very much in the next 40,000 years. Sure the tools of the trade might
change, but I think a soldier of today would have more in common with a
Roman legionaire or a Cadian trooper than he would with 95% of the
general population.

The trick is of course to keep politics out of it, as you say.

Los

P.S> not trying to start trouble or offend anyone on the list.