Re: [Epic]Insiginia

From: Matthew Sprange <altsain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:06:19 -0000

>nastier. This is Texas, where some nuts think we were annexed illegally
>by the U.S. start shooting feds and call themselves "patriots".

In all seriousness, we Brits may have a somewhat skewed view of Americans,
and a lot of what we see may be Texan based. Only this week on our
wonderful BBC, we watched a documentary on these American guys (NOT Texan!)
who holed themselves away, surrounded themselves with swastikas and pictures
of Hitler in Father Christamas outfits and said we are the land of the free
and we can say, hey, I am free to discriminate. It is good to see that
Americans can be reasoning people. Again, no offence here, we may have an
'islander' mentality here, but all we see of America is what gets piped down
through the box (that's television to you). And on the same point, not all
English are like those you see in Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill or Red Dwarf!

We DO get the impression here that America is a very racist country,
particuarly, it seems, against Jews - which I have not yet understood. I
would like someone to explain this position to me, as an aside. I'm not
inviting you to air yourself as racists, but I'm sure you can understand the
position of these people. I don't agree with the Nazi's view on Jews, but I
can understand it. I'm just curious to know the feeling on the other side
of the pond. Having said that, Britain too is an incredibly racist country,
which is also a little understand. Both our countries share a similar
background of multiple races creating our nations. You have all the
Europeans going over and starting a country, we have a history of being
colonised by Germans (Saxons), French and Scandanavian (Normans), amongst
others. We still get the same crap here now about us being 'colonised' by
blacks and asians.

Let's leave that topic aside, I do have great difficulty in undxerstanding
this sort of view. At the same time though, I am fascinated by the little
differences between cultures, so I am interested in the views of our
American cousins in this (and in other countries too, if you have input -
are the finnish racist at all?).

But getting back to the point, I sympathise if you have to contend with an
issue like this when it comes to gaming and it is just one more highlight to
remember in the fight against bigotry. Maybe, one day, the human race will
get it right? (surely I'm not alone here).